On the Combinatorics of Free Algebras
In this survey paper I discuss recent results concerning free algebraic systems and I mention some old results which motivated them. There is no attempt to be comprehensive. The selection of topics is eclectic and personal but with a special emphasis on results of a combinatorial nature.
KeywordsVariety Versus Relation Algebra Free Algebra Free Generator Congruence Lattice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Andréka, B. Jónsson, and I. Németi, Relatively free relation algebras, preprint. K.A.Baker, G.F. McNulty, and W. Taylor , Growth problems for unavoidable words, Theoretical Computer Science, to appear.Google Scholar
- G. Grätzer , Composition of functions, Proc. Conf. on Universal Algebra, Queen’s Univ. Kingston, Ontario, pp. 1-106.Google Scholar
- J.A. Green and D. Rees , On semigroups in which x r = x, Proc. Cambridge Phil. Soc. 48, pp. 35-40.Google Scholar
- J. M. Howie , An Introduction to Semigroup Theory, Academic Press.Google Scholar
- B. Jonsson and A. Tarski , Two general theorems concerning free algebras, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 62, p. 554.Google Scholar
- A. Kisielewicz, Solution of Marczewski’s problem on algebras with bases of different cardinalities, Fund. Math., to appear.Google Scholar
- S. Kleene , Introduction to Metamathematics, pp. 332-340, Van Nostrand.Google Scholar
- M. Petrich , An Introduction to Semigroups, Charles E. Merril Pub.Google Scholar
- A.B. Romanowska and J.D.H. Smith , Modal Theory. An Algebraic Approach to Order, Geometry, and Convexity, Helderman Verlag.Google Scholar
- S. Seif , A note on free algebras of discriminator varieties, Algebra Universalis, to appear.Google Scholar
- A. Thue, , Ube die gegenseitigen Lage gleicher Teile gewisser Zeichenreihen, Norske Vid. Selsk. Skr. I, Math. Nat. Kl. Christiana I, pp. 1–67.Google Scholar
- H. Werner , Discriminator Varieties, Akademie Verlag.Google Scholar