Measurements of velocity and elevation in the inner surf zone usually show that a substantial fraction of the total variance is at surf beat periods, roughly 30–200 sec. (Inman, 1968; Suhayda, 1971, 1974; Goda, 1975; Huntley, 1976; Wright et al., 1979; Holman, 1981; Wright et al., 1982; and others). A typical current record from an inner surf zone sensor at Torrey Pines Beach, and a low passed version of the same record are shown in Figure 9-1. Although wind wave motions are usually the most obvious component of the unfiltered cross-shore velocity field (upper panel), surf beat motions are certainly significant (lower panel). Below, we first briefly review some theoretical ideas about the nature and origin of surf beat. Then experimental evidence supporting the various theories is discussed, placing special emphasis on the NSTS Torrey Pines results.
KeywordsWave Height Wind Wave Surf Zone Edge Wave Scripps Institution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davis, R. E. and L. Regier, 1977, Methods for estimating directional wave spectra from multi-element arrays, Journal of Marine Research, 35: 453–477.Google Scholar
- Eckart, C., 1951, Surface waves in water of variable depth, Wave Report, SIO Reference 51–12, 100, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California, 99 pp.Google Scholar
- Goda, Y., 1975, Irregular wave deformation in the surf zone, Coastal Engineering Japan, 18: 13–27.Google Scholar
- Guza, R. T., E. B. Thornton and R. A. Holman, 1984, Swash on steep and shallow beaches, Proceedings, Nineteenth Coastal Engineering Conference, September 3–7, 1984, Houston, Texas, American Society of Civil Engineers, New York: 708-723.Google Scholar
- Huntley, D. A., R. T. Guza and E. B. Thornton, 1981, Field observations of surf beat, 1, progressive edge waves, Journal of Geophysical Research, 83: 1913–1920.Google Scholar
- Inman, D. L., 1968, Mechanics of sediment transport by waves and currents, SIO Reference Series 68–10, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California.Google Scholar
- Munk, W., 1949, Surf beats, EOS Transcripts, AGU 30: 849–854.Google Scholar
- Suhayda, J. N., 1971, Experimental study of the shoaling transformation of waves on a sloping bottom, Ph.D dissertation, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla.Google Scholar