An important aspect of environmental engineering is the prediction of the behavior of a foreign substance introduced into the environment. In environmental fluid mechanics a knowledge of the environmental conditions (the transporting system) is generally assumed and the problem is that of predicting the behavior of an ensemble of contaminated (marked) fluid particles released into the transporting system. The fundamental idea behind the use of tracers for the determination of transport is essentially the inverse problem, i. e., one deliberately marks a finite number of particles within the transporting system with the expectation of gaining information about the characteristics of the transporting system itself by monitoring the behavior of the marked particles (the tracers).
KeywordsAssure Beach Advection Trench cAdy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Csanady, G. T., 1973, Turbulent diffusion in the environment, Reidel, Dordecht, Holland, 248 p.Google Scholar
- DeVries, M., 1973, Applicability of fluorescent tracers, Proceedings, Use of Tracers in Sediment Transport, International Atomic Agency, Wien.Google Scholar
- Duane, D. B., 1970, Tracing sand movement in the littoral zone, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, CERC, MP4-70.Google Scholar
- Duane, D. B. and W. R. James, 1980, Littoral transport in the surf zone elucidated by Eulerian sedimant tracer experiment, Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 50(3): 929–942.Google Scholar
- Einstein, H. A., 1936, Der Geschiebetrieb als Wahrscheinlichkeitsproblem, Thesis, E.T.H., Zurich.Google Scholar
- Fischer, H. B., E. J. List, R. C.Y. Koh, J. Imberger and N. H. Brooks, 1979, Mixing in Inland and Coastal Waters, Academic Press, 483 p.Google Scholar
- Greer, M. N. and O. S. Madsen, 1978, Longshore sediment transport data: a review, Proceedings, Sixteenth Coastal Engineering Conference, August 27–September 3, 1978, Hamburg, Germany, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2: 1563-1576.Google Scholar
- Hubbel, D. W. and W. W. Sayre, 1964, Sand transport studies with radioactive tracers, Journal of Hydraulics Division, ASCE, 90(HY3): 39.Google Scholar
- Komar, P. D., 1969, The longshore transport of sand on beaches, Ph.D. thesis, University of California, San Diego, 142 pp.Google Scholar