Monitoring Chemical Reactions in Metal-Organic Chemical Vapour Deposition (MOCVD)
The success of metal-organic vapour deposition (MOCVD) as a preparative technique for thin film III/V semiconductors1,2 has prompted considerable interest in the chemistry of deposition. At present, little is known concerning the reaction processes, excepting that the precursors are thermally decomposed. It is believed that surface reactions are important to both pyrolysis and MOCVD growth although relative contributions from gas phase and surface processes have not been quantified. Analysis of alkyl metal reactants and their reactions is complicated by their pyrophoric nature and their propensity towards hydrolysis by traces of moisture contained within the analytical system.
KeywordsFree Radical Process Ethane Ratio Abstract Hydrogen MOCVD Growth Preparative Technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. D. Gerrard, D. J. Nicholas, J. O. Williams and A. C. Jones, Chemtronics 3: 17 (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.J. O. Williams in ““Advanced Crystal Growth””, P. M. Dryburgh, K. G. Barraclough and B. Cockayne, ed., Prentice Hall, p. 387 (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Luckerath, P. Balk, M. Fischer, D. Grundmann, A. Hertling and W. Richter, Chemtronics, 2:199 (1987).Google Scholar
- 5.C. A. Larsen, N. I. Buchan and G. B. Stringfellow, J.Crystal Growth, to be published.Google Scholar
- 7.N. Hunt and J. O. Williams, Chemtronics, 2(3):165 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.R. Hoare and J. O. Williams, to be published.Google Scholar
- 9.P. J. Baugh, A. Cassow, M. W. Jones and A. C. Jones, Chemtronics, 2(2):93 (1987).Google Scholar
- 10.D. G. Tuck in ““Comprehensive Organometallic Chemistry””, G. Wilkinson, E. A. Abel and F. G. Stone, ed., 1:683 (1982).Google Scholar
- 12.L. M. Fraas, P. S. McLeod, L. D. Partain and J. A. Cape, J.Vac.Sci. Technol., B4(1):22 (1986).Google Scholar
- 16.R. Luckerath, P. Tommack, A. Hertling, H. J. Kob, P. Balk, K. F. Jensen and W. Richter, J.Crystal Growth, presented at ICMOVPE—4, Hakone, Japan, 1988, to be published.Google Scholar