Colour Vision and Immunologically Identifiable Photoreceptor Subtypes
Colour vision is based on a family of visual pigments localized in the retinal photoreceptor cells. Monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies generated against these proteins were used to discriminate the rods and the cone types of various vertebrate species. The different cell types were demonstrated by light microscopic immunocytochemistry on retinal sections of the turtle, the gecko, and several mammalian species. The human retina was also included. A good correlation could be found between the colour-sensitivities and the immunologic staining pattern of the photoreceptor subpopulations. This novel approach to distinguish the visual cells with immunocytochemistry proved to be useful to map the distribution of the colour-specific elements of the retina.
KeywordsVisual Pigment Tangential Section Cone Type Double Cone Single Cone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caldwell, J. H., Daw, N. W., 1978, New properties of rabbit retinal ganglion cells, J. Physiol. 216: 216–251.Google Scholar
- Cserhàti, P., Szél, À., Röhlich, P., 1988, Four cone types characterized by anti-visual pigment antibodies in the red area of the pigeon retina, Invest Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., In PressGoogle Scholar
- Granda, A. M., Dvorak, C. A., 1977, Vision in turtles, Photoreceptors, in: “The Visual System in Vertebrates. Handbook of Sensory Physiology, Vol. VII/5,” Crescitelli, F. ed., Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York.Google Scholar
- Liebman, P., 1972, Microspectrophotometry of photoreceptors, in: “The Handbook of Sensory Physiology VII/1,” Dartnal, H.J.A. ed., Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Szél, À., Takàcs, L., Monostori, E., Vigh-Teichmann, I., Röhlich, P., 1985, Heterogeneity of chicken photoreceptors as defined by hybridoma supernatnats, Cell Tiss. Res., 240: 741–755.Google Scholar
- Szél, À., Röhlich, P., 1988a, Four photoreceptor types in the ground squirrel retina as evidenced by immunocytochemistry, Vision Res., In Press.Google Scholar
- Szél, À., Röhlich, P., 1988b, The mosaic of the colour-specific photoreceptors in the mammalian retina as defined by immunocytochemistry, Acta. Morph., In press.Google Scholar