Some Effects of Dam Destratification upon Manganese Speciation
Although the current World Health Organization recommended limit for manganese concentration in drinking water is set to 100 μg/L, water authorities in Queensland and in other parts of Australia find this figure well in excess of the level of manganese they will allow in their treated water. Regular output of potable water with 100 μg/L of Mn into a reticulation system is guarantied to lead to black pipe deposits and washing stains — the dirty water phenomenon. Thus the Gold Coast City Council in Southeast Queensland is currently keeping the allowable Mn level in treated water at less than 10 μg/L.
KeywordsCellulose Magnesium Sulphide Filtration Europe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allaby, M., 1977. “A Dictionary of the Environment”, The Macmillan Press, London.Google Scholar
- Brown, I.K., Wolley, D.A. and Jory, A.G., 1982. Artificial destratification of Lake Morris to improve water quality, in: “Symposium on Hydrology and Water Resources”, Melbourne 11–23 May, 1982, National Conf. Publications No. 82/3, The Institution of Engineers, Australia.Google Scholar
- Burns, F.L., 1981. Experiences in the design, installation and operation of destratification aerators; in: “Destratification of Lakes and Reservoirs to Improve Water Quality”, Aust. Water Resources Council, Conference Series No. 2. F.L. Burns and I.J. Powling, eds., Aust. Govt. Printing Service, Canberra.Google Scholar
- Chiswell, B. and Rauchle, G., 1986. Manganese in water storage dams, Proc. Roy. Soc. Queensland, 92:53–67.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, G.E., 1957. “A Treatise on Limnology”, Vol. 1, John Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Mokhtar, M.B., 1987. “Manganese Speciation In Dam Waters”, PhD Thesis, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Australia.Google Scholar
- Nyffler, U.P., Schindler, P.W., Wirz, U.E. and Imboden, D.M., 1983. Chemical and geochemical studies of Lake Biel, Schweiz. Z. Hydrol., 45:48–49.Google Scholar
- Welsh, P.R., 1984. “An Assessment of Water Quality and Monitoring at Dartmouth Reservoir”, Rural Water Commission of Victoria, Report No. 82, Melbourne.Google Scholar
- Wetzel, R.G., 1975. “Limnology”, Saunders College Publishing, Washington.Google Scholar