A Parent’s View of More Able People with Autism
I want you to try to see through my eyes for just a little while, so that I can help you understand the experience of parenting a more able autistic child. I will attempt to describe some of the feelings and situations that my husband, Marco, and I experienced both separately and together during the last 17 years, and to delineate some of the basic issues that are part and parcel of raising a more able person with autism. I will try to combine these experiences with those communicated to me by other parents around the country.
KeywordsFatigue Depression Transportation Shoe Dick
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dewey, M. (1980, September). The socially aware autistic adult and child. Talk given at Warwick, England.Google Scholar
- Donnellan, A. M., LaVigna, G. W., Negri-Shoultz, N., & Fassbender, L. L. (Eds.). (1988). Progress without punishment. New York: Plenum.Google Scholar
- Leventhal, B. (1991, July). The biochemistry of autism. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Autism Society of America, Indianapolis.Google Scholar
- Moses, K. (1987, Spring). The impact of childhood disability. Ways Magazine, 6-10.Google Scholar
- Park, C. C. (1982). The Siege (3rd ed.). Boston: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- Patterson, G. R. (1971). Families. Champaign, IL: Research Press.Google Scholar