A Parent’s View of More Able People with Autism
I want you to try to see through my eyes for just a little while, so that I can help you understand the experience of parenting a more able autistic child. I will attempt to describe some of the feelings and situations that my husband, Marco, and I experienced both separately and together during the last 17 years, and to delineate some of the basic issues that are part and parcel of raising a more able person with autism. I will try to combine these experiences with those communicated to me by other parents around the country.
KeywordsSocial Skill Autistic Child Handicapped Child Social Skill Training Autistic People
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dewey, M. (1980, September). The socially aware autistic adult and child. Talk given at Warwick, England.Google Scholar
- Donnellan, A. M., LaVigna, G. W., Negri-Shoultz, N., & Fassbender, L. L. (Eds.). (1988). Progress without punishment. New York: Plenum.Google Scholar
- Leventhal, B. (1991, July). The biochemistry of autism. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Autism Society of America, Indianapolis.Google Scholar
- Moses, K. (1987, Spring). The impact of childhood disability. Ways Magazine, 6-10.Google Scholar
- Park, C. C. (1982). The Siege (3rd ed.). Boston: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- Patterson, G. R. (1971). Families. Champaign, IL: Research Press.Google Scholar