A Note on: Development of 2-Dimensional Detectors for Radio-Thin-Layer Chromatography
The development of a series of detectors for planar radiochromatography is described (sensitivities are quoted as dpm of carbon-14). The RITA is a position sensitive proportional counter with a resolution of 0.5mm and a sensitivity of a few tens of dpm. This detector may be used, with suitable software, to analyze two dimensional thin-layer chromatography (TLC) plates. TRACY is a multiwire proportional detector which has been developed especially for two dimensional planar chromatography. This detector has a resolution of 1mm with a sensitivity of about 25dpm for an analysis time of 15 minutes. BERTA is a spark chamber which also has been developed for two dimenional radio-detection. The spark chamber has a resolution of 1mm with a sensitivity of about 10dpm in 40 minutes. One of the major disadvantages of such spark chambers has been the lack of any digital information. This has been solved by development of EVA, an optical reading system for the BERTA where a special diode array matrix is used in conjunction with a very fast Motorola 68000 CPU.
KeywordsProportional Counter Nuclear Instrument Cathode Plane Dimensional Picture Routine Laboratory Work
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.F. Berthold, Proceedings of Symposium on Radioisotope Sample Measurement Techniques In Medicine and Biology, IAEA, Vienna, 303 (1965).Google Scholar
- 3.G. Charpak, Proceedings of International Symposium on Nuclear Electronics, Versailles (1968).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Bram, French Patent FR 2279114 19.03.76 Priority date: 25.04.74 74 FR-014453.Google Scholar
- 11.V. Perez-Mendez, Proceedings of International Meeting on Proportional and Drift Chambers, Dubna USSR, (1975).Google Scholar
- 12.B. R. Pullan, R. Howard, and B. J. Perry, Nucleonics 72, (1966).Google Scholar
- 14.T. R. Roberts, Radiochromatography (J.Chromatogr library, 41), Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, New York and Amsterdam (1978)Google Scholar