Deterministic Disorder in Two-Dimensional Media
The idea that random distributions of physically meaningful fields in space may be deterministically generated was put forth considerably after the discovery of dynamical chaos.1, 2, 3, 4 Such investigations, however, could have been expected much earlier, in the beginning of the seventies, because of a very close analogy between the time series generated by dynamical systems and one-dimensional spatial field distributions described by ordinary differential equations in which spatial coordinate plays the part of time.
KeywordsMarangoni Number Transverse Defect Meaningful Field Space Series Homoclinic Trajectory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. Aubry, in: “Solitons and Condensed Matter Physics”, Springer, ser. Solid State Physics, vol. 8, A.R. Bishop and T. Schneider, eds., Springer, Berlin (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.J.M. Ziman. “Models of Disorder”, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.P. Manneville. “Dissipative Structures and Weak Turbulence”, Academic Press (1990).Google Scholar
- 8.V.S. Afraimovich, A.B. Ezersky, M.I. Rabinovich, M.A. Shereshevsky, and A.L. Zheleznyak, Dynamical description of spatial disorder, Physica D (to be published in 1992).Google Scholar
- 11.A.B. Ezersky, M.I. Rabinovich, V.P. Reutov, and I.M. Starobinets, Spatio-temporal chaos in parametric excitation of capillary ripples, Sov. Phys. JETPH 64:1228 (1986).Google Scholar
- 12.E. Bodenschatz et al., Patterns and defects in liquid crystals, in:“New Trends in Nonlinear Dynamics and Pattern-Forming Phenomena (The Geometry of Nonequilibrium)”, Pierre Coullet and Patric Huerre, eds., Plenum Press, N.Y. (1988).Google Scholar
- 13.L. Korsinov, M.I. Rabinovich, and L. Sh. Tsimring, Breaking symmetry in nonequilibrium systems. Interfaction of defects, Phys. Rev. A (to be published).Google Scholar
- 16.W.S. Edwards and S. Fauve, Phys. Rev. Lett., (to be published).Google Scholar
- 17.M.I. Rabinovich, A.L. Fabrikant, and L. Sh. Tsimring, Finite-dimensional spatial disorder, Sov. Phys. Uspekhi 167:4 (1992).Google Scholar
- 18.K.A. Gorshkov, L.N. Korzinov, M.I. Rabinovich, and L. Sh. Tsimring, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett. Google Scholar
- 20.M.S. Longuett-Higgins, Capillary rollers and bores, submitted to J. Fluid. Mech. Google Scholar