Deterministic Disorder in Two-Dimensional Media
The idea that random distributions of physically meaningful fields in space may be deterministically generated was put forth considerably after the discovery of dynamical chaos.1, 2, 3, 4 Such investigations, however, could have been expected much earlier, in the beginning of the seventies, because of a very close analogy between the time series generated by dynamical systems and one-dimensional spatial field distributions described by ordinary differential equations in which spatial coordinate plays the part of time.
KeywordsEntropy Convection Hexagonal Soliton Peri
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. Aubry, in: “Solitons and Condensed Matter Physics”, Springer, ser. Solid State Physics, vol. 8, A.R. Bishop and T. Schneider, eds., Springer, Berlin (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.J.M. Ziman. “Models of Disorder”, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.P. Manneville. “Dissipative Structures and Weak Turbulence”, Academic Press (1990).Google Scholar
- 8.V.S. Afraimovich, A.B. Ezersky, M.I. Rabinovich, M.A. Shereshevsky, and A.L. Zheleznyak, Dynamical description of spatial disorder, Physica D (to be published in 1992).Google Scholar
- 11.A.B. Ezersky, M.I. Rabinovich, V.P. Reutov, and I.M. Starobinets, Spatio-temporal chaos in parametric excitation of capillary ripples, Sov. Phys. JETPH 64:1228 (1986).Google Scholar
- 12.E. Bodenschatz et al., Patterns and defects in liquid crystals, in:“New Trends in Nonlinear Dynamics and Pattern-Forming Phenomena (The Geometry of Nonequilibrium)”, Pierre Coullet and Patric Huerre, eds., Plenum Press, N.Y. (1988).Google Scholar
- 13.L. Korsinov, M.I. Rabinovich, and L. Sh. Tsimring, Breaking symmetry in nonequilibrium systems. Interfaction of defects, Phys. Rev. A (to be published).Google Scholar
- 16.W.S. Edwards and S. Fauve, Phys. Rev. Lett., (to be published).Google Scholar
- 17.M.I. Rabinovich, A.L. Fabrikant, and L. Sh. Tsimring, Finite-dimensional spatial disorder, Sov. Phys. Uspekhi 167:4 (1992).Google Scholar
- 18.K.A. Gorshkov, L.N. Korzinov, M.I. Rabinovich, and L. Sh. Tsimring, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett. Google Scholar
- 20.M.S. Longuett-Higgins, Capillary rollers and bores, submitted to J. Fluid. Mech. Google Scholar