Pear Thrips Emergence and Foliar Damage
Adult emergence of pear thrips, Taeniothrips inconsequens, from forest soil was monitored using 7.6-cm diam traps in 16 sites around Vermont from 1989–1991. Emergence usually started in mid-April, though in some sites began as early as 2 April or as late as 15 May. Pear thrips soil population levels in September, the number of thrips that emerged in spring, and the timing and rate of emergence were measured to determine if subsequent damage to foliage of sugar maple, Acer saccharum Marsh., was correlated with these factors. Thrips soil populations in September and the rate and timing of emergence were not consistently correlated with damage, whereas the number of thrips per emergence trap was positively correlated with damage in all study years. However, we observed annual fluctuations in the threshold number of thrips required for damage to occur.
KeywordsSugar Maple Acer Saccharum Emergence Trap Foliar Damage Thrips Population
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bailey, S. F. 1944. The pear thrips in California. Univ. Calif. Agric. Exp. Stn. Bull. 687.Google Scholar
- Parker, B. L., J. R. Grehan & M. Skinner. 1992. Method for extracting pear thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) from forest soil. J. Econ. Entomol. 85: 865–869.Google Scholar
- Parker, B. L. & M. Skinner. 1993. Field evaluation of traps for monitoring emergence of pear thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 86: 46–52.Google Scholar
- Skinner, M. & B. L. Parker. 1990. Vermont soil survey for pear thrips, protocol for regional soil sampling program, pp. 94-100. In B. L. Parker et al. [eds.], Proc, regional mtg.: pear thrips research and management: current methods and future plans. So. Burlington, VT, 15-16 Nov. Vt. Agric. Exp. Stn. Bull. 697.Google Scholar
- Wilmot, S. H. & R. S. Kelley. 1990. Stand damage assessment, pp. 117-118. In B. L. Parker et al. [eds.], Proc., regional meeting: pear thrips research and management: current methods and future plans, So. Burlington, VT, 15-16 Nov. Vt. Agric. Exp. Stn. Bull 697.Google Scholar