Coverage Modeling for the Design of Network Management Procedures
Fault-tolerant networks used in applications with high availability requirements need built-in automatic network management schemes to handle faults and congestion. Different timers and threshold parameters need to be specified for these network management procedures. Besides high availability requirements, fault-tolerant networks often have stringent performance requirements as well. Hence a design of network management procedures should simultaneously consider both availability and performance metrics.
In this paper, we define coverage of network management procedures for a given set of performance measures. We outline a coverage modeling technique using Generalized Stochastic Petri Nets (GSPN) to obtain coverage measures. These measures are then combined with a fault-occurrence and repair model to obtain combined performance and availability measures. A GSPN model of a network management procedure called changeover used in Signaling System No. 7 (SS7) protocol based networks, is used to illustrate the coverage and performability modeling techniques.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. C. Arnold, “The Concept of Coverage and Its Effect on the Reliability Model of a Repairable System”, IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. C-22, No. 3, March 1973.Google Scholar
- K. S. Trivedi, J. Bechta Dugan, R. Geist, M. Smotherman, “Modeling Imperfect Coverage in Fault-Tolerant Systems”, Proc. of the Fourteenth International Conference on Fault-Tolerant Computing, 1984.Google Scholar
- A. Reibman and H. Zaretsky, “Modeling Fault Coverage and Reliability in a Fault-Tolerant Network”, Globecom, pp. 689-692, 1990.Google Scholar
- CCITT Specifications of Signalling System No. 7 Recommendations Q.700-Q.716, Blue Book, Volume VI-Fascicle VI.7, Geneva 1989.Google Scholar
- M. Hamilton and N. A. Mariow, “Analyzing Telecommunication Network Availability Performance Using the Downtime Probability Distribution”, Globecom, pp. 590-596, 1991.Google Scholar
- M. Ajmone Marsan, G. Balbo and G. Conte, “Performance Models of Multiprocessor Systems”, The MIT Press, 1986.Google Scholar
- P. M. Merlin, “Specification and Validation of Protocols”, IEEE Transaction on Communications, Vol. COM-27, No. 11, November 1979.Google Scholar
- R. A. Sahner and K. S. Trivedi, “SHARPE-Symbolic Hierarchical Automated Reliability and Performance Evaluator Introduction and Guide for Users”, Duke University, Sept. 1986.Google Scholar
- K. Muppala and K. S. Trivedi, “Composite Performance and Availability Analysis Using a Hierarchy of Stochastic Reward Nets”, in Proc. of the Fifth Intl. Conf. on Modeling Techniques and Tools for Computer Performance Evaluation, Torino, Italy, 1991, Editor G. Balbo.Google Scholar
- K. S. Trivedi, J. K. Muppala, S. P. Woolet, B. R. Haverkort, “Composite Performance and Dependability Analysis”, Performance Evaluation, Vol. 14, 1992.Google Scholar