Reduction of NOx and SOx from Combustion Flue Gases by a Corona Discharge-Electron Beam Hybrid System
The NOX and SOX emissions are the major cause of acid rain. The CO2 and CH4 emissions cause a greenhouse effect which leads to abnormal global heating of the atmosphere and can create a temperature inversion layer that traps pollutants. There is a vital interest in controlling these emissions — in the near term for acid rain and in the long term for the greenhouse effect.
KeywordsCorona Discharge Flame Length Hollow Electrode Temperature Inversion Layer Corona Discharge Treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.S. Chang, Energetic electron induced plasma processes for a reduction of acid and greenhouse gases in a combustion flue gas, in “Non-Thermal Plasma Techniques for Pollution Control”, B. Penetronte, Ed., Plenum Press, New York (1994).Google Scholar
- 3.J.S. Chang and S. Masuda, Mechanism of pulse corona induced plasma chemical process for removal of NOX and SO2 from combustion flue gases, in IEEE Industry Appl. Soc. 1988 Meeting, pp. 1645-1653 (1988).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Higashi, S. Uchida, N. Suzuki, and Fujii, K., Simultaneous reduction of soot and NOX in a diesel engine exhaust by discharge plasma, Trans. IEE Japan, 111A:457–473 (1991).Google Scholar
- 9.K. Kawamura, S. Hitano, Y. Hirano, A. Maezawa, S. Aoki, M. Kaneko and R. Suzuki, Development of electron beam dry flue gas treatment process (EBA process) — Process demonstration operation in USA coal-fired power station, Ebara Jiho, 141:2–10 (1988).Google Scholar
- 10.S. Masuda and Y. Wu, Removal of sulfur from stack gases by an electric discharge, Electrostatics 87, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. 85, IOP Press, Oxford, pp. 249–254 (1987).Google Scholar
- 12.T. Ohkubo, S. Kanazawa, Y. Nomoto, J.S. Chang and T. Adachi, NOX removal by a pipe with nozzle-plate electrode corona discharge system, Trans. IEEE Industry Applications (In Press, 1993).Google Scholar