CT-Determined Body Composition Changes with Recombinant Human Growth Hormone Treatment to Adults with Growth Hormone Deficiency
Growth hormone (GH) is secreted in children as well as in adults. Several studies show an important role of GH in adults. Recent trials with recombinant human growth hormone (rhGH) have demonstrated profound effects on body composition, metabolism and quality of life.1,2 Salomon et al1 showed that adults with growth hormone deficiency had decreased lean body mass and increased body fat. Treatment with rhGH for six months increased lean body mass (LBM) and reduced body fat. Jörgensen et al2 have shown that four months of GH substitution to GH-deficient adults had a normalizing effect on several physiological variables, which were out of normal range before treatment.
KeywordsPlacebo Obesity Attenuation Adenoma Meningioma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.O.L. Jörgensen, S.A. Pedersen, P. Laurberg, J. Weeke, N.E. Skakkebaek, and J.S. Christiansen. Effects of growth hormone therapy on thyroid function of growth hormone-deficient adults with and without concomitant thyroxine-substituted central hypothyroidism, J. Clin. Endocr. Metab. 69: 1127–1132 (1989).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.L. Sjöström, et al., Hormones, body composition and cardiovascular risk. Speech at International Symposium on In Vivo Body Composition Studies, Houston, Texas, Nov. 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Kvist, L. Sjöström, and U. Tylén, Adipose tissue volume determinations in women by computed tomography: Technical considerations. Int. J. Obesity 10: 53–67 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Kvist, B. Chowdhury, L. Sjöström, U. Tylén, and A. Cederblad. Adipose tissue volume determinations in males by computed tomography and 40K. Int. J. Obesity 12: 249–266 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.L. Sjöström, A computer-tomography based multicompartment body composition technique and anthropometric predictions of lean body mass, total and subcutaneous adipose tissue. Int. J. Obesity 15 (suppl. 2): 19–30 (1991).Google Scholar