Nutritional Informations for the Elimination of IDD in Europe
One of the major determinant of success or failure of IDD elimination is certainly linked to the availability of a good health information system. The present review discuss some of the parameters of iodine deficiency assessment and some nutritional facts from Europe relevant both to the european as well as to the worldwide IDD elimination.
KeywordsIodine Deficiency Iodine Intake Congenital Hypothyroidism Urinary Iodine Neonatal Screening
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.H. Thilly. Epidemiologic surveys in endemic goiter and cretinism, in: Endemic Goiter and Endemic Cretinism, J.B. Stanbury and B.S. Hetzel, ed, Wiley, New-York 157: 179 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.R.H. Follis. Patterns of urinary iodine excretion in goitrous and non-goitrous areas. Am J Clin Nutr, 114, 253 (1964).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Bourdoux, F. Delange, S. Filetti, C. Thilly and AM Ermans. Reliability of the iodine/creatinine ratio: a myth? In: Thyroid Disorders associated with Iodine Deficiency and Excess, R. Hall and J. Köbberling, eds. Raven Press, 22, New-York 145 (1985).Google Scholar
- 4.C.H. Thilly, P. Bourdoux, B. Swennen, N. Bebe, D. Due and A.M. Ermans. Assessment and planning for IDD control programs. In: The Prevention and Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders, B.S. Hetzel, J.T. Dunn and J.B. Stanbury, eds. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V. 181 (1987).Google Scholar
- 5.C.H. Thilly, J.B. Vanderpas, N. Bebe, K. Ntambue, B. Contempré, B. Swennen, R. Moreno-Reyes, P. Bourdoux and F. Delange. Iodine deficiency, other trace elements, and goitrogenic factors in the etiopathogeny of iodine deficiency disorders (IDD). Biolog. Trace Elem. Research 32, 229 (1992).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.P. Langer. Serum thiocyanate level in large sections of the population as an index of the presence of naturally occuring goitrogens in the organism, in: “Naturally occuring Goitrogens and Thyroid Function”. J. Podoba and P. Langer, eds, Publish House Slovak Acad. Scien. Bratislava, 281 (1964).Google Scholar