Industrial Fermentation and Aspergillus Citric Acid
Citric acid (2-hydroxy-l, 2, 3-propanetricarboxylic acid) was first isolated from lemon juice by the Swedish chemist Scheele (1784), and first produced commercially by John and Edmund Sturge in England from 1823 onwards. Production was from Italian produced calcium citrate derived from lemon and lime juice from Martinique. Before the end of the century, this production method had also been established in France and Germany. However, by 1920 the Italians had also begun to produce citric acid themselves, establishing a monopoly with concomitant high prices. As a result alternative methods of citric acid production were sought.
KeywordsFermentation Aspirin Pyruvate Lime Gypsum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Binot, R., Bol, T., Naveau, H-P. and Nyns, E-J. (1982) Biomethanation by immobilised fluidised cells. IAW PR Specialised Seminar Copenhagen, Denmark.Google Scholar
- Braun, R., Meyrath, J., Stuparek, W. and Zerlauth, G. (1979) Feed yeast production from citric acid waste. Pr ocess Biochem, 14 (1) 16–20.Google Scholar
- Clark, D. S. (1964) (National Research Council of Canada, Citric acid production, US Pat. 3 118 821. Chem Abstr., 61 4926d.Google Scholar
- Currie, J. N. (1917) The citric acid fermentation of A. niger. J Biol. Chem., 31, 15–17Google Scholar
- Grimoux, E and Adam, P. (1880) Synthase de l’acide citrique. C. R. Hebd Seance Acad Sci., 90, 1252–1255Google Scholar
- Hustede, H. and Rudy, H. (1976a) Manufacture of citric acid by submerged fermentation. US Pat 3 941 656. Chem. Abstr., 84 178–222w. (J. A. Benckiser ed.).Google Scholar
- Hustede, H. and Rudy, H. (1976b) Manufacture of citric acid by submerged fermentation. US Pat. 3 940 315. Chem. Abstr., 85, 3869f. (J. A. Benckiser ed.).Google Scholar
- Les Usines de Melle (1961) Process for extracting citric acid from aqueous solutions thereof. Br. Pat. 874030. Chem. Abstr., 55 18010c.Google Scholar
- Les Usine de Melle (1963) Process for extracting citric carboxylic acids produced by fermentation. Br. Pat. 936 339 Chem. Abstr. 57, 15620a.Google Scholar
- Pfizer Inc. (1974) Fermentation process for the production of citric acid. Br. Pat. 1 364 094. Chem. Abstr. 78, 70192y.Google Scholar
- Snell, R. L. and Schweig, B. (1951) Citric acid by fermentation, Br. Pat. 653 808. Chem. Abstrc. 45 8719aGoogle Scholar
- Wehmer, C. (1893) Note sur fermentation citrique. Bull Soc. Chim. Fr., 9, 728–730.Google Scholar