The Proline Utilisation Gene Cluster of Aspergillus Nidulans
The proline utilisation pathway is one of the most appropriate examples of control of gene expression in Aspergillus nidulans and indeed in the fungi in general. The study of this pathway permits one to investigate the mechanism of specific induction, the interaction of carbon catabolite and nitrogen metabolite repression and provides interesting hints as to the function of gene clustering in eukaryotic microorganisms.
KeywordsNeurospora Crassa Aspergillus Nidulans Carbon Catabolite Repression creA Gene Nitrogen Catabolite Repression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arst, H. N. Jr., MacDonald, D. W. and Jones, S. A. (1980) Regulation of proline transport in Aspergillus nidulans. J. Gen. Microbiol. 116, 285–294.Google Scholar
- Burger, G., Strauss, J., Scazzocchio, C. and Lang, F. B. (1991) nirA, the pathway-specific regulatory gene of nitrate assimilation in Aspergillus nidulans, encodes a putative GAL-4 type zinc finger protein and contains four introns in highly conserved regions. Mol. Cel. Biol. 11, 5746–5755.Google Scholar
- Gavrias, V. (1992) Etudes moleculaires sur la régulation et la structure du groupe des gènes prn chez Aspergillus nidulans. Doctoral Thesis, Unversité Paris-Sud (XI) Orsay.Google Scholar
- Green, P. M. and Scazzocchio C. (1985) A cloning strategy in filamentous fungi, in “Gene Manipulations in Fungi” pp. 345–353. Bennett, J. W. and Lasure, L. L. Eds. Academic Press, Orlando.Google Scholar
- Gorfinkiel, L., Diallinas, G. and Scazzocchio C. (1993) Sequence and regulation of the uapA gene, encoding a uric acid-xanthine permease in the fungus Aspergillus nidulans. J. Biol. Chem. In press.Google Scholar
- Hull, E. P. (1988) Molecular Analysis of the proline catabolism gene cluster of Aspergillus nidulans and sequencing of the regulatory gene. Ph. D. Thesis, Univesity of Essex, Cochester.Google Scholar
- Kudla, B., Caddick M. X., Langdon T., Martinez-Rossi N. C., Bennet C. F., Sibley S., Davies R. W. and Arst H. N. Jr. (1990) The regulatory gene areA mediating nitrogen metabolite repression in Aspergillus nidulans. Mutations affecting specifity of gene activation alter a loop residue of a putative zinc finger. EMBO J. 9, 1355–1364.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Oestreicher, N. and Scazzocchio, C. (1993) Sequence, regulation and mutational analysis of the gene encoding urate oxidase in Aspergillus nidulans. J. Biol. Chem. In press.Google Scholar
- Stankovich, M., Platt, A., Caddick, M. X., Langdon, T., Shaffer, P. M. and Arst, H. N. Jr. (1993) C-terminal truncation of the transcriptional activator encoded by areA in Aspergillus nidulans results in both loss-of-function and gain- of-function phenotypes. Mol. Microbiol. 7, 81–88.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar