The Role of Powder Calcination Conditions in the Sintering Behaviour of Calcined ZrO2 Powders
Precipitation of hydrous zirconia and its thermal decomposition represent the simplest method for the preparation of ultrafine zirconia powders. These powders are now widely used either in unstabilized form for toughening various ceramic matrices (so-called zirconia toughened ceramics) (1), or they are used for the production of tetragonal zirconia ceramics (2), containing a few % of Y2O3 or CeO2 as stabilizing agent, which also reduces ZrO2 grain growth during sintering. Therefore the crystallization of hydrous zirconia as well as the occurence and stability of the transitional metastable tetragonal (mt) phase, have been rather extensively investigated, but they are still not completely understood (3–10). Besides, the relationship between powder processing and powder characteristics, as well as their influence on the densification behaviour and microstructure of sintered material seem to be of great importance.
KeywordsCrystallization Zirconia Hydrate Shrinkage Explosive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N.Claussen, Microstructural Design of Zirconia Toughened Ceramics (ZTC), Advances in Ceramics, Vol 12, 325–351 (1984)Google Scholar
- 2.K.Tsukuma, Y. Kubota, T. Tsukidate, Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Y203-Stabilized Tetragonal Zirconia Polycrystals,:ibid. Vol 12, 382–390 (1984)Google Scholar
- 3.R.Cypres, R. Wollast and J. Raucq, “Polymorphic Conversion of Pure Zirconia”, Ber. DKG, 40, 527–532 (1963)Google Scholar
- 12.T.Kosma, V. Kragevec, R. Gopalakrishnan, Influence of Water Removal Rate During Calcination on the Crystallization of ZrOz from Amorphous Hydrous Precipitates, Porc. IX German-Yugoslav Meeting on Materials Sciences and Development, Hirsau 1989, Eds. W.A. Kaysser, G. PetzowGoogle Scholar
- 13.R.Gopalakrishnan. M. Komac, V. Krasevec, T. Kosmac, Preparation of Zirconia Fine Powders by Critical Solvent Evaporation, Brit. Ceram. Soc. Proc., No 38, 37–48 (1986)Google Scholar
- 14.T.Kosmaô, V. Krasevec, ç,opal xrishnan, M. Komac, Crystallization of Zr02 from Amorphous Precipitates and its Influence on Microstructure of Sintered Ceramics, Advances in Ceramics, Vol. 24, 167–172 (1989)Google Scholar
- 15.V.Krasevec, T. Kosmac, R. Gopalakrishnan, An HREM and ED Study of Calcined Precipitated Zirconia Powder, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No. 93, Vol 2, Chapter 8, 329–330 (1988)Google Scholar