Carcinogenicity Versus Acute Toxicity: Is There a Relationship?
- 146 Downloads
Carcinogenic potency is compared in rodents with acute toxicity for a group of chemicals (155) which were tested independently of and mostly before the NCl/NTP program. For the entire data set and several subsets, we find partially biased statistically significant linear relationships between potency and the inverse of LD50. On average, the chemicals studied outside the NCl/NTP program are more carcinogenic compared to their acute toxicity than the NCl/NTP chemicals. Analysis shows a clear unbiased upper bound for carcinogenic potency. The correlation between potency and acute toxicity is robust with respect to species and route of administration. We find good agreement between oral and inhalation experiments, for toxicities and carcinogenicities.
KeywordsCarcinogenicity toxicity correlation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gold, L. S., Sawyer, C. B., Magaw, R., Backman, G. M., de Vecina, M., Levinson, R., Hooper, N. K., Havender, W. R., Bernstein, L., Peto, R., Pike, M. C., and Ames, B. N., 1984, A Carcinogenic Potency Database of the Standardized Results of Animal Bioas says, Env. Health Perspectives 58: 9 - 319.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- NIOSH, 1984, Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances,U.S.Google Scholar
- DHHS, 1983 Supplement to the 1981-82 edition, Cincinnati, OH.Google Scholar
- NIOSH, 1980, Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances,U.S.Google Scholar
- DHHS, 1979 edition, Cincinnati, OH.Google Scholar
- Tancrède, M., Wilson, R., Zeise, L., and Crouch, E. A. C., 1986, The Carcinogenic Risk of Organic Vapors Indoors: A Survey, Energy and Environmental Policy Center, E-86-06, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Zeise, L., 1984, Surrogate Measures of Human Cancer Risk, Ph.D. dissertation, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Zeise, L., and Crouch, E. A. C., 1986, A Possible Relationship Between Toxicity and Carcinogenicity, J. Am. Coll. Toxicol. 5 (2): 137 - 151.Google Scholar