Insulin-Like Activity of Taurine
There is now an increasing body of data that taurine (2-aminoethanesulfonic acid) at pharmacological concentrations alters carbohydrate metabolism. Early reports from Ackerman and Heinsen (1) and Macallum and Sivertz (10) found that taurine was potent a hypoglycemic agent. Several teams of investigators have confirmed these initial results. Donadio and Fromageot (4) confirmed the hypoglycemic properties of taurine and presented evidence that taurine increased glucose utilization in the rat diaphragm. Lampson et al. (9) reported that taurine was capable of enhancing the effects of insulin on cardiac glycolysis, glycogenesis and oxygen consumption. Moreover, when fasting rats were given a bolus injection of glucose, Kulakowski and Maturo (6) observed that taurine alone was capable of reducing serum glucose levels while stimulating 3-0-methylglucose uptake in skeletal muscle and liver, and glycogenesis in the liver. This occurred without a concomitant increase in serum insulin levels.
KeywordsInsulin Receptor Krebs Ringer Bicarbonate Buffer Increase Glucose Utilization Proline Uptake Glycogen Production
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Donadio, G., and Fromageot, P., 1964, Influence exercise par la tauri’ne sur l’utilisation du glucose par le rat, Bull. Soc. Chim. Bio!., 46:293–302.Google Scholar
- 7.Kulakowski, E.C, Maturo, J., and Schaffer, S.W., 1985, The low affinity taurine-binding protein may be related to the insulin receptor in Taurine: Biological Actions and Clinical Perspectives, eds. Oja, S.S., Ahtee, L., Kontro, P., and Paasonen, M.K., Allan R. Lis, Inc., New York, 127–136.Google Scholar
- 10.Macallum, A.B., and Sivertz, C, 1942, The potentiation of insulin by sulfones, Can. Chem. Process., 26:669.Google Scholar
- 17.Shimuza, T., Shimizu, S., Nagami, S., and Wada, M., 1960, Effect of hypo, taurine and cysteine on alloxan-and dehydroxyascorbic acid-diabetes, Niigata Med. J., 74:931–939.Google Scholar
- 18.Silaeva, T.Y., Dokshina, G.A., Yartsev, E.I., Yakoleva, V.V. and Arkhangelskaya, T.E., 1976, The effect of taurine on the carbohydrate metabolism of diabetic animals, Prob. Endokrinol., 22:99–103.Google Scholar