Evaluating a Learning Organisations Initiative
During organisational change, whilst practitioners legitimately may resist undue problemetization and argue for “just getting on with it”, the research role is to try to understand processes and outcomes and to interpret how and why these occurred. The inherent ambiguities of the Learning Organisations (L.O.) concept (e.g. Brown 1996) will not be discussed here. This paper shares some of the conceptual dilemmas and practical difficulties associated with attempting to evaluate a “Learning Organisations” change initiative in a large and complex organisation.
KeywordsLearn Organisation Change Initiative Personal Mastery Business Necessity Boundary Question
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cunningham, J., Barton, 1993, Action Research and Organisational Development, Connecticut: Praeger Economist Conference, 20th September, 1996, London.Google Scholar
- Hart, A.E., and Bond, M., 1995, Action Research for Health and Social Care: A Guide to Practice O.U. Press Buckingham.Google Scholar
- Kemmis, S., and McTaggart, R., 1988, The Action Research Reader, Deakin Univ. Press: Australia.Google Scholar
- Kidd, T., 1994, Managing Business Networks, Kogan Page: London.Google Scholar
- Lewin, K., 1946, “Action Research and Minority Problems” in Resolving Social Conflicts, Lewin G.W. (ed) N.Y. Harper & Bros.Google Scholar
- Reason, P., 1994, “Co-operative Enquiry, Participatory Action Research and Action Inquiry: three approaches to participative enquiry”, in Handbook of Qualitative Research, N.K. Denzin & Y.S. Lincoln (eds.) London, Sage.Google Scholar
- Roth, G., and Kleiner, A., 1995, “Learning Histories: “Assessing” the Learning Organisation” The Systems Thinker Vol 6, 4, 31–33, Pegasus Comms, Cambridge, Mass.Google Scholar
- Senge, P., 1990, The Fifth Discipline USA: Doubleday.Google Scholar
- Senge, P.M., Kleiner, A., Roberts, C., Ross R.B., and Smith B.J., 1994, The Learning Organisation Fieldbook, Nicholas Brealey: G.B.Google Scholar
- Ulrich, W., 1987, “Critical Heuristics of Social Systems Design” European Jnl. of Operational Research ch31:pp 276-283.Google Scholar