A Model for the Expression of Different Glutamate Transporter Proteins from a Rat Astrocyte-Type Glutamate Transporter Gene
The mammalian brain uses the largest variety of mechanisms of gene expression of any organ to generate many different proteins from a single gene. Nowhere is this phenomenon more obvious and relevant than in the families of genes encoding the ionotropic glutamate (Glu) receptors (iGluRs)1. The differences introduced usually affect the physiologic role of the variant protein. For example, the gene encoding the NMDAR1 iGluR makes nine splice variants2 that display distinct properties when expressed in exogenous systems2,3. A second example involves RNA editing of the GluR2 primary transcript that results in the incorporation of the amino acid (AA) arginine (R) instead of glutamine (Q) at the R/Q site in the putative intramembranous4 domain of the iGluRs. This alteration abolishes the calcium permeability of the edited GluR2 subunit.
KeywordsGlutamate Transporter mRNA Species GluT Gene Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Glial Cell Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.G.M. Durand, P. Gregor, X. Zheng, M.V. Bennett, G.R. Uhl, and R.S. Zukin, Cloning of an apparent splice variant of the rat N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor NMDAR1 with altered sensitivity to polyamines and activators of protein kinase C, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89:9359 (1992).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.R. Roginski, K. Choudhury, M. Marone, and H. Geller, Molecular characterization and expression of a rat brain glutamate transporter cDNA, Anesthesiology 79(3A): A787 (1993).Google Scholar
- 12.H. Lee and R.S. Roginski, Characterization of glutamate transporters from rat striatum with affinitypurified antibodies, Anesthesiology, manuscript submitted.Google Scholar
- 14.K. Choudhury, R.S. Roginski, S. Meiners, M. Marone, and H.M. Geller, Cloning and expression of GluT-R, a novel, high-affinity rat brain glutamate transporter, manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar
- 16.R.S. Roginski, K. Choudhury, and J. Yospin, Rat brain glutamate transporter mRNA variant predicts an alternate amino terminus for the astrocyte-type transporter, Proceedings of the XVth Washington International Spring Symposium. Neurodegenerative Diseases ′95: Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms and Therapeutic Advances..Google Scholar