Protein Phosphatases Regulate Creb Phosphorylation and Fos Expression in the Developing Striatum
Dopamine is a classical neurotransmitter of multiple functions. Dopamine not only can modulate short-term synaptic activity, but also can regulate long-term changes in gene expression. In the dopamine-containing mesostriatal system, dopamine can modulate plasticity of gene expression, including induction of immediate-early genes and regulation of neuropeptide gene expression (Graybiel et al, 1994; Gerfen, 1992; Graybiel, 1990; Hong et al., 1978). The alterations of gene expression mediated by dopamine may underlie dopamine-mediated neuronal and behavioral plasticity.
KeywordsProtein Phosphatase Okadaic Acid Striatal Neuron Slice Culture Organotypic Culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berretta, S., and Graybiel, A.M., 1993, Rapid phosphorylation of CREB-like proteins in striatimi occurs in response to amphetamine, Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 19:129.Google Scholar
- Foster, G.A., Schultzberg, M., Hökfelt, T., Goldstein, M., Hemmings, H.C. Jr., Ouimet, C.C., Walaas, S.I., and Greengard, P., 1987, Development of a dopamine-and cyclic adenosine 3′:5′-monophosphate-regulated phosphoprotein (DARPP-32) in the prenatal rat central nervous system, and its relationship to the arrival of presumptive dopaminergic innervation, J. Neurosci. 7:1994–2018.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Graybiel, A.M., S. Berretta, R. Moratalla, F.-C. Liu, and B. Elibol. 1994, Effects of cocaine on signal transduction in striatal neurons, in: Neurobiology of Cocaine, (R. Hammer, eds.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, pp. 215–223.Google Scholar
- Hong, J.S., Yang, H.-Y.T., Fratta, W., and Costa, E., 1978, Rat striatal methionine-enkephalin content after chronic treatment with cataleptogenic and noncataleptogenic antischizophrenic drugs, J. Pharmacol. Exp. Therap. 205:141–147.Google Scholar
- Liu, F.-C. and Graybiel, A.M., 1994, Dopamine receptors and calcium channel activation regulate phosphorylation of CREB in organotypic cultures of striatum, Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 20:990.Google Scholar
- Liu F.-C., Graybiel, A.M., 1995, Differential regulation of CREB phosphorylation by calcineurin in developing striosomes and matrix of organotypic striatal cultures. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 21:1424.Google Scholar
- Liu, F.-C., and Graybiel, A.M., 1996, Spatiotemporal dynamics of CREB phosphorylation in striatal compartments during development, in preparation.Google Scholar