Effect of Taurine on the Fatty Liver of Children with Simple Obesity
This study elucidated the effect of taurine on fatty liver in simple obesity. Taurine was orally administered to 10 children with fatty liver. During taurine administration, the CT numbers of the liver, which were low in the beginning, increased. Serum ALT levels were improved, especially in those children whose weight was well controlled. Even in those who failed in weight control, serum ALT levels were slightly recovered. Ratios of glycine/taurine-conjugated bile acids were decreased. Thus, taurine was effective in treating fatty liver of children with simple obesity regardless of the success/failure of weight control. Taurine administration is considered to be helpful as an adjuvant therapy for fatty liver.
KeywordsBile Acid Fatty Liver Weight Control Total Bile Acid Taurine Supplementation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gaull, G.E. 1989, Taurine in pediatric nutrition: Review and update, Pediatrics, 83:433–442.Google Scholar
- 3.Hayashi, M. 1990, The effect of taurine on experimental fatty degeneration in primary cultured rat hepatocytes, Act.Hepatol.Jpn. 31:75–80.Google Scholar
- 4.Kato, K., Takayama, T., Katada, N., Nishimura, D., Shibata, T., and Takeichi, M. 1980, Evaluation of computed tomography in the diagnosis of liver diseases, Acta.Hepatol.Jpn. 21:58–69.Google Scholar
- 6.Matsuyama, Y., Morita, T., Higuchi, M., and Tsujii, T. 1983, The effect of taurine administration on patients with acute hepatitis, in: “Sulfur Amino Acids: Biochemical and Clinical Aspects”, Kuriyama, K., Huxtable, R.J. and Iwata, H. eds., Alan R. Liss, Inc., New York, pp. 461–468.Google Scholar
- 8.Nakashima, T., Takino, T., and Kuriyama, K. 1983, Therapeutic and prophylactic effects of taurine administration on experimental liver injury, in: “Sulfur Amino Acids: Biochemical and Clinical Aspects”, Kuriyama, K., Huxtable, R.J. and Iwata, H. eds., Alan R. Liss, Inc., New York, pp. 449–460.Google Scholar