Immunocytochemical Localization of Taurine in the Inner Ear
Taurine is reported to be abundant in the inner ear4. However, data are scarce concerning the distribution and functional roles of taurine in this organ. In the CNS, taurine has been implicated in many functions including inhibitory neurotransmission, modification of Ca++ fluxes, and osmoregulation9, 10. We recently demonstrated the cellular and subcellular localization of taurine in the organ of Corti by means of post embedding immunocytochemistry27. In the present paper, we describe the distribution of taurine in the inner ear of three mammalian species.
KeywordsHair Cell Schwann Cell Supporting Cell Squirrel Monkey Outer Hair Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bobbin, R.P. and Thompson, M.H. 1978, Effects of putative transmitters on afferent cochlear transmission, Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 87:185–190.Google Scholar
- 4.Davies, W.E. and Owen, C. 1985, The nature of neurotransmitters in the mammalian lower auditory system, in: “Auditory Biochemistry”, Drescher, D.G., ed. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, IL. pp. 244–257.Google Scholar
- 6.Gragera, R.R., Muniz, E. and Martinez-Rodgriguez, R. 1994, Neuromediators in the cerebellar blood-brain barrier and its microenvironment. Immunocytochemical demonstration of taurine, glycine, serotonin, thiamin and AATase, J. Hirnforsch. 35:31–38.Google Scholar
- 10.Huxtable, R.J. 1992, The physiological actions of taurine, Physiol. Rev. 72:101–163.Google Scholar
- 11.Ichimiya, I., Adamas, J. and Kimura, R. 1994, Changes in immunostaining of cochleas with experimentary induced endolymphatic hydrops, Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 103:457–468.Google Scholar
- 14.Kimelberg, H., Goderie, S., Higman, S., Pang, S. and Waniewski, R. 1990, Swelling-induced release of glutamate, aspartate and taurine from astrocyte cultures, J. Neurosci. 10:1583–1591.Google Scholar
- 24.Schwartz, I.R. and Ryan, A.F. 1986, Uptake of amino acids in the gerbil cochlea, in: “Neurobiology of Hearing”, Altschuler R.A., Hoffman, D.W. and Bobbin R, P., eds. Raven Press, New York, pp. 173–190.Google Scholar
- 29.Usami, S., Shinkawa, H., Inoue, Y., Kanzaki, J. and Anniko, M. 1995, Calbindin-D28K localization in the primate inner ear, J.Oto-Rhino-Laryng. 57:94–95.Google Scholar