Long-Lasting Hypoxic Preservation of Porcine Kidney Cells
In the field of transplantation medicine one of the determining factors for the outcome of the transplanted organ is the cellular deterioration due to hypoxia and reoxygenation and the protection against it. Frequently the hypoxic storage of the removed organ limits the possibility of successful transplantation. The hypoxic cell damage due to insufficient organ preservation is a major cause for the loss or the dysfunction of transplanted organs like hearts and kidneys2, 5, 6, 15, 17.
KeywordsPeroxide HPLC Ischemia EDTA Lactate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Beizer, F.O. and Southhard, J.H. 1988, Principles of solid-organ preservation by cold storage, Transplantation, 45:673–676.Google Scholar
- 6.Collins, G.M. and Wicomb, W.N. 1992, New organ preservation solutions, Kidney Int. 42 (Suppl. 38): 197–202.Google Scholar
- 7.Gstraunthaler, G., Pfaller, W., and Kotanko, P. 1985, Biochemical characterization of renal epithelial cell cultures (LLC-PK1 and MDCK), Am.J.Physiol. 248:F536–F544.Google Scholar
- 9.Huxtable, R.J. 1992, Physiological actions of taurine, Physiol.Rev. 72:101–163.Google Scholar
- 11.Lindell, S.L., Gandolph, D., Southard, J.H., and Beizer, F.O. 1991, Comparison of PBS, HTK, and UW solutions for kidney preservation, Transplantation Proc. 23:2399–2401.Google Scholar
- 12.Marshall, V.C., Biguzas, M., Jablonski, P., Scott, D.F., Howden, B.O., Thomas, A.C., Cham, C.W., and Walls, K. 1990, UW solution for kidney preservation, Transplantation Proc. 22:496–497.Google Scholar
- 13.Marshall, V.C., Jablonski, P., Biguzas, M., Howden, B.O., and Walls, K. 1990, Kidney preservation with UW solution: the nature of the impermeant, Transplantation Proc. 22:2131–2132.Google Scholar
- 16.Sahai, A., Cole, L.A., Clarke, D.L., and Tannen, R.L. 1989, Rocking promotes differentiated properties in LLC-PK1 cells by improved oxygenation, Am.J.Physiol. 315:C1064–C1069.Google Scholar
- 17.Torras, J., Bordalba, J.R., Seron, D., Carrera, M., Castelao, A.M., Poveda, R., Alsina, J., and Grino, J. 1992, An experimental comparison between isotonic saline solution, Euro-Collins, and a flush solution with mannitol in the prevention of renal damage due to warm ischemia, Transplantation Proc. 24:54–55.Google Scholar
- 24.Wingenfeld, P., Strübind, S., Gehrmann, U., Minor, T., Isselhard, W., and Michalk, D. 1994, Protecting effects of taurine against hypoxic cell damage in renal tubular cells cultured in different preservation solutions, in: “Taurine in Health and Disease”, Huxtable, R.J. and Michalk, D.V. eds., Plenum Press, New York, pp. 159–169.Google Scholar