Effect of Dietary Taurine on Lipid Metabolism in Normcholesterolemic and Hypercholesterolemic Stroke-Prone Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats
It is well known that taurine plays an important role in conjugation of bile acids which are formed from cholesterol in the liver, suggesting that there is a close relationship between taurine and cholesterol metabolism. Kibe et al. 4 reported that taurine stimulates the activity of cholesterol 7α-hydroxylase, the rate-limiting enzyme of bile acid synthesis. Tsuji et al. 11 and Yamori et al. 12 reported that taurine shows a hypocholesterolemic effect in experimentally induced hypercholesterolemic animal models. These findings indicated a possibility that taurine is effective in diet-induced hypercholesterolemia.
KeywordsRegular Diet Lipoprotein Fraction Hepatic Cholesterol Bile Acid Synthesis Hypocholesterolemic Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bellentani. S., Pecorari, M., Cordoma, P., Marchegiano, P., Manenti, F., Bosisio, E., De Fabiani, E. and Galli, G. 1987, Taurine increases bile acid pool size and reduces bile saturation index in the hamster, J. Lipid Res. 28:1021–1027.Google Scholar
- 2.Folch, J., Lees, M.R. and Stanley, G.H.S. 1957, A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues, J. Biol. Chem. 226:497–509.Google Scholar
- 3.Hatch, F.T. and Lee, R.S. 1968, Practical methods for plasma lipoprotein analysis, Adv. Lipid Res. 6:1–68.Google Scholar
- 6.Mahley, R.W. 1981, Cellular and molecular biology of lipoprotein metabolism in atherosclerosis, Diabetes, 30 (Suppl. 2):60–65.Google Scholar
- 8.Ogawa, H., Nishikawa, T., Fukushima, S. and Sasagawa, S. 1988, Studies on stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHRSP) fed a high-fat and high-cholesterol diet: Effects of taurine on serum lipoprotein metabolism in hypercholesterolemic rats, Jpn. J. Hyg. 14:648–658.Google Scholar
- 9.Ogawa, H., Shiota, C., Nishikawa, T., Fukushima, S. and Sasagawa, S. 1986, Age-related changes in serum concentrations of apolipoproteins A-I, E and A-IV in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats, J. Hypertens. 4 (Suppl. 3):429–431.Google Scholar
- 11.Tsuji, K., Iwao, H., Nakagawa, Y. and Seki, T. 1980, Influence of dietary taurine on distribution and fecal excretion of cholesterol in hypercholesterolemic rats, Sulfur-Containing Amino Acids 3:165–171.Google Scholar
- 12.Yamori, Y., Nara, Y., Kihara, M., Horie, R., Oshima, A., Iritani, N. and Fukuda, E. 1980, Possible involvement of taurine in pathological cholesterol metabolism of arteriolipidosis-prone rats (ALR), Sulfur-Containing Amino Acids 3:107–113.Google Scholar