Stimulation of NF-κB Activation and Gene Expression by Platelet-Activating Factor
PAF stimulation of NF-κB activation and transcription of immediate-early genes have been investigated in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and in transfected Chinese hamster ovary cells expressing the cloned PAF receptor. These studies identified a G protein-coupled pathway for PAF induction of gene expression and transcription factor activation, which differs from the mechanisms employed by other immediate-early gene inducers. Potential significance of PAF induced NF-κB activation is discussed.
KeywordsChinese Hamster Ovary Cell Glomerular Epithelial Cell IKBa Promoter Tissue Factor Gene Expression Autocrine Regulatory Mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Snyder, F. (1990) Platelet-activating factor and related acetylated lipids as potent biologically active cellular mediators. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 259, C697 - C708Google Scholar
- 3.Zimmerman, G. A., Prescott, S. M., and McIntyre, T. M. (1992) Platelet-activating factor: a fluid-phase and cell-associated mediator of inflammation. In Inflammation: Basic principles and clinical correlates ( Gallin, J. I., Goldstein, I. M., and Snyderman, R., eds) pp. 149–176, Reven Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kravchenko, V. V.; Pan, Z.; Han, J.; Herbert, J. M.; Ulevitch, R. J. and Ye, R. D. (1995) Platelet-activating factor induces NF-kappa B activation through a G protein-coupled pathway. J Biol Chem 25, 14928–14934Google Scholar
- 9.Liou, H. C. and Baltimore, D. (1993) Regulation of the NF-KB/rel transcription factor and IKB inhibitor system. Cur. Biol. 5, 477–487Google Scholar
- 16.Feng, L.; Pan, Z.; Xia, Y.; Wilson, C. B. and Ye, R. D. (1994) Platelet-activating factor induces expression of the growth factor, heparin-binding EGF-like growth factor in glomerular epithelial cells. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 5, 679 (Abstract)Google Scholar