Comparison of Serum Selenium Levels in Inhabitants from Different Portuguese Regions
Selenium is an essential trace element in human nutrition, which is an integral part of the peroxide destroying enzyme, glutathione peroxidase (1). It also takes part in the constitution of other selenoproteins (2) and seems to play other biological functions, such as an important role in the peripheric deiodination of thyroid hormones (3). Normal selenium status varies widely from one part of the world to another. This situation, which is the consequence of differences in selenium intake, depends on the selenium content in soils and hence in food, as well as its bioavailability (4). Moreover, different physiological conditions and also the occurrence of pathological situations are liable to influence the status of the element in human beings.
KeywordsRural Region Essential Trace Element Serum Selenium Selenium Content Selenium Status
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R.F. Burk, J. Nutr., 119, 1051–1054 (1989).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Nève, S. Chamart and L. Molle, Trace Element Analytical Chemistry in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 4, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin-N. Y, 349–358 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.A. M. Viegas-Crespo, J. Nève, M.L. Monteiro, M. F. Amorim, O.S. Paulo and M.J. Halpern J. Trace Elem. Electrolytes Health Dis., 8, 119–122 (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.J. Nève J.Trace Elem. Electrolytes Health Dis. 5 1–17 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Van Cauwenbergh, H. Robberecht, H. Deelstra, D. Picramenos and A. Kostakopoulos, J. Trace Elem. Electrolytes Health Dis., 8, 99–109 (1994).Google Scholar
- 10.F. Fernandez-Banares, C. Dolz, M.D. Mingorance, E. Cabré, M. Lachica, A. Abad-Lacruz, A. Gil, M. Esteve, J.J. Giné and M.A. Gassul, Eur. J. Clin Nutr., 4, 225–229 (1990).Google Scholar
- 11.H. Robberecht and H. Delstra, J. Trace Elem. Electrolytes Health Dis., 8, 129–143 (1994).Google Scholar
- 12.J. Versieck and R. Cornells, Trace Elements in Plasma or Serum, C.R.C. Press, Boca Raton, Florida, U. S. (1989).Google Scholar
- 13.A. M. Viegas-Crespo, M.L. Pavão, V. Santos, M.L. Cruz, J. Leal, N. Sarmento, M.J. Halpern and J. Nève In: Natural Antioxidants & Food Quality in Atherosclerosis & Cancer Prevention, Royal Soc.of Chemistry, in press,1995.Google Scholar