The Effects of Taurine and Biogenetically Related Sulfur-Containing Compounds on the Metabolism of and Hypothermia by Ethanol in the Rat
Two main metabolic pathways have been described for the biosynthesis of taurine in mammals: the cysteine sulfinic acid pathway, entailing the formation of cysteine sulfinic acid from cysteine, followed by conversion of cysteine sulfinic acid to hypotaurine; and the cysteamine pathway, where cysteine is sequentially metabolized to phosphopantothenyl cysteine, cysteamine and hypotaurine7,19. In turn, hypotaurine is enzymatically oxidized to taurine which, ultimately, is reported to undergo a very limited conversion to isethionic acid in certain organs3,20. An alternate minor pathway to taurine may occur through the intermediate formation of cysteic acid from cysteine sulfinic acid3,13,23.
KeywordsALDH Activity Cysteic Acid Sulfinic Acid Blood Ethanol Concentration Hypothermic Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Harada, K., 1982, Effects of L-cysteine on alcohol metabolism — in vivo and in vitro study, Jpn. J. Alcoh. Stud. Drug Depend., 17:S65–S66.Google Scholar
- 12.Iida, S. and Hikichi, M., 1976, Effect of taurine on ethanol-induced sleeping time in mice, J. Stud. Alcoh., 37:19–26.Google Scholar
- 14.Lau-Cam, C.A., Theofanopoulos, V., Thadikonda, K.P., and DeNicola, M., 1992, Effect of fructose on the hypothermic response to ethanol in the rat, Res. Commun. Subst. Abuse, 13:203–217.Google Scholar
- 15.Lau-Cam, C.A., Theofanopoulos, V., and Thadikonda, K.P., 1994, Antagonistic effect of ascorbate on ethanol-induced hypothermia in the rat, Res. Commun. Subst. Abuse, 15:33–50.Google Scholar
- 21.Rachamin, G., Macdonald, J.A., Wahid, S., Clapp, J.J., Khanna, J.M., and Israel, Y., 1980, Modulation of alcohol dehydrogenase and ethanol metabolism by sex hormones in the spontaneously hypertensive rat, Biochem. J., 180:483–490.Google Scholar
- 23.Sturman, J.A. and Fellman, J.H., 1983, Methionine metabolism in the rat: accumulation of hypotaurine after partial hepatectomy, in: “Sulfur Amino Acids: Biochemical and Clinical Aspects”, Kuriyama, K., Huxtable, R.J., and Iwata, H., eds., Alan R. Liss, New York, pp. 435–447.Google Scholar
- 24.Theofanopoulos, V. and Lau-Cam, C.A., 1996, Modification of ethanol metabolism by taurine and its impact on ethanol-induced hypothermia in the rat, Pharm. Res. (Suppl.) 40:67P.Google Scholar