In Vitro Culture Systems for Germ Cells from Mouse Embryo: Primordial Germ Cells and Oocytes
The present review consists of three parts. In the first part, the main methods devised in my laboratory for the isolation and culture of mouse primordial germ cells are summarised. Major information that thanks to the use of these methods have been obtained about the cellular and molecular biology of these cells, will also briefly reviewed. In the second part, an in vitro culture method for fetal mouse oocyte is described. This method can be used to address several problems concerning the early female gametogenesis. Finally, a short outline about the potential application of these methods for in vitro genotoxicological tests is given.
KeywordsGerm Cell Stem Cell Factor Okadaic Acid Primordial Germ Cell Cell Feeder Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- De Felici, M., Cossu, G., and Siracusa, G., 1986, Functional interactions between mouse primordial germ cells and somatic cells in vitro, In: Development and Function of the Reproductive Organs, A. Eshkol et al., eds., pp. 14-22, Ares Serono Symposia.Google Scholar
- De Felici, M., Dolci, S., and Pesce, M., 1994, Proliferation of mouse primordial germ cells in vitro: a key role of cAMP, Dev. Biol. 157: 227.Google Scholar
- De Felici, M., 1997, Isolation and culture of germ cells from mouse embryo, In: Cell Biology: a Laboratory Handbook, J.C. Celis, ed., Academic Press (in press).Google Scholar
- Koshimizu, U., Taga, T., Watanabe, M, Saito, M., Shirayoshi, Y., Kishimoto, T., and Nakatsui, N., 1996, Functional requirement of gp-130-mediated signaling for growth and survival of mouse germ cells in vitro and derivation of embryonic (EG) cells, Dev. Biol. 122: 122.Google Scholar
- Pesce, M., Cerrito, M.G., Travia, G., Russo, M.A., and De Felici, M., 1996, In vitro development of growing oocytes from fetal and early postnatal mouse ovaries, Int. Dev. Biol. Suppl.1: 229.Google Scholar