Analysis of Gene Regulation in Sertoli Cells by a Gene Trap Approach
In mammals, the male gamete is the product of complex events, including meiosis, genetic recombination and spermiogenesis. Alterations in some of these regulatory events can affect fertility. The difficulty of reproducing in vitro the necessary requirements for the development of spermatogenesis has limited the progress of our knowledge of the molecular mechanisms which regulate spermatogenesis. Identification of spermatogenic regulatory genes will be useful to develop an in vitro system to test potential pharmacotoxicological agents.
KeywordsGerm Cell Sertoli Cell Male Germ Cell Seminiferous Epithelium Myosin Heavy Chain Isoforms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caussanel, V., Tabone, E., Hendrick, J. C., Dacheux, F. and Benahmed, M., 1997, Cellular distribution of transforming growth factor betas 1,2, and 3 and their types I and II receptors during postnatal development and spermatogenesis in the boar testis, Biol. Reprod. 56: 357–67.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Morales, C. and Clermont, Y., 1993, Structural changes of the Sertoli cell during the cycle of the seminiferous epithelium, in: The Sertoli cell, L. D. Russel and M. D. Griswold, ed., Cache River Press, Clearwater FL.Google Scholar
- Nargolwalla, C., McCabe, D. and Fritz, I. B., 1990, Modulation of levels of messenger RNA for tissue-type plasminogen activator in rat Sertoli cells, and levels of messenger RNA for plasminogen activator inhibitor in testis peritubular cells, Mol Cell Endocrinol. 70: 73–80.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Paquis, F. V., Michiels, J. F., Vidal, F., Alquier, C., Pointis, G., Bourdon, V., Cuzin, F. and Rassoulzadegan, M., 1993, Expression in transgenic mice of the large T antigen of polyomavirus induces Sertoli cell tumours and allows the establishment of differentiated cell lines, Oncogene. 8: 2087–94.Google Scholar
- Parvinen, M., 1993, Cyclic functions of Sertoli cells, in: The Sertoli cell, L. D. Russell and M. D. Griswold, ed., Cache River Press, Clearwater, FL.Google Scholar
- Russell, L. D., 1993, Morphological and functional evidence for Sertoli-germ cell relationships, in: The Sertoli cell, L. D. Russell and M. D. Griswold, ed., Cache River Press, Clearwater, FL.Google Scholar
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E. F. and Maniatis, T., 1989, Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor (NY).Google Scholar
- Toothaker, L. E., Gonzalez, D. A., Tung, N., Lemons, R. S., Le Beau, M. M., Arnaout, M. A., Clayton, L. K. and Tenen, D. G., 1991, Cellular Myosin Heavy Chain in human leukocytes: isolation of 5′ cDNA clones, characterization of the protein, chromosomal localization, and upregulation during myeloid differentiation., Blood. 7: 1826–1833.Google Scholar