Management of Thymectomised Myasthenic Patients
This prospective study followed-up fifty-six thymectomised patients with thymoma-and non thymoma-associated generalized myasthenia gravis for at least 2 years. To study the effect of thymectomy, no immunosuppression was given until needed after surgery. Forty-one percent patients with thymitis went into spontaneous remission, 37% after additional immunosuppression. Only 11% of patients with thymoma or an atrophic thymus went into spontaneous remission. This group proved difficult to be treated as within the remaining 89% over 40% improved only partially in their symptoms with immunosuppression. Within all groups it was possible to withhold without adverse effects immunosuppression until there was a definite clinical need for therapy. Early diagnosis of spontaneous remission improves considerably the quality of life, especially in young patients.
KeywordsRemission Rate Thymic Carcinoma Spontaneous Remission Extensor Digitorum Communis Atrophic Thymus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 12.Müller-Hermelink HK, Marino M, Palestro G. Pathology of thymic epithelial tumors. Vol. 75. Berlin: Springer, 1986: 207-68. (Müller-Hermelink HK Ed; The Human Thymus: Histopathology and Pathology. Current Topics in Pathology).Google Scholar
- 13.Nix WA, Große-Höötmann H, Kirchner T, Marx A. Remission rate after thymectomy in myasthenia gravis. Neurology 1995; 45:A352–253.Google Scholar