Clinical Immunology of Thymic Tumors in Patients with Myasthenia Gravis
Approximately 10–15% of all myasthenia gravis (MG) patients have a thymoma, and 30 – 60% of all thymoma cases are associated with MG. The clinical manifestations of MG with thymoma are similar to MG with thymic hyperplasia, but the thymoma patients are usually older, and the male:female ratio is about 1:1 compared with 1:2–3 for thymic hyperplasia. Polymyositis and cardiac involvement are uncommon in non-thymoma cases, but are well known in MG with thymoma (Aarli, 1994).
KeywordsRyanodine Receptor Myoid Cell Thymus Hyperplasia Thymic Tumor Neoplastic Epithelial Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aarli, JA. Myasthenia Gravis and Thymoma. Chapter 10 in: Handbook of Myasthenia Gravis and Myasthenic Syndromes (ed. R. P. Lisak) Marcel Dekker, New York, Pp.207–224, 1994.Google Scholar
- Geld HW van der and Strauss AJL. Autoantibodies and myasthenia gravis: immunological relationship between striated muscle and thymus. Lancet 1966:i:631–637.Google Scholar
- Kuks JBM. The thymus and myasthenia gravis. Drukkerij Regenboog, Groningen 1992.Google Scholar
- Marx A, Osborn M, Tzartos S, Geuder KI, Schalke B, Nix W, Kirchner T, Müller-Hermelink HK. A striational muscle antigen and myasthenia gravis-associated thymomas share an acetylcholine-receptor epitope. Dev. Immunol. 1992; 2:77–84.Google Scholar
- Osborn M, Marx A, Kirchner T, Tzartos SJ, Plessman U, Weber K. A shared epitope in the acetylcholine receptor alpha subunit and fast troponin I of skeletal muscle. Is it important for myasthenia gravis? Am J Pathol 1992; 140:1215–1223.Google Scholar
- Shillito P, Molenaar PC, Vincent A, Leys K, Zheng W, van den Berg RJ, Plomp JJ, Van Kempen GTH, Chauplannaz G, Wintzen AR, van Dijk JG, Newsom-Davis J. Acquired neuromyotonia: Evidence of autoantibodies directed against K+−channels of peripheral nerve. Ann Neurol 1995; 38:714–722.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Weigert C. Patologisch—anatomischhes Beitrag zur Erbschen Krankheit. Neurolog Zentralblatt 1901; 20:594–597.Google Scholar