Just like gamification, the term behavioral modification can get negative reactions. It can be associated with animal training, and it can be associated with B. F. Skinner (the father of behaviorism), who has the unfortunate and unfounded reputation for having raised his daughter in a so-called Skinner box to perform conditioning experiments. This is entirely untrue, but the urban legend remains. It is also difficult to use the term behavioral modification with the people you want to train. Phrases using some variation of “change your behavior” have connotations related to parenting, so it is usually best to avoid those phrases altogether. Something like “changing your habits” is a much easier phrase to use, with fewer negative connotations. However, in this chapter, I will use the term behavior so that the wording aligns with the various sources being cited.
KeywordsPositive Reinforcement Behavioral Modification Negative Reinforcement Undesired Behavior Security Personnel
- Jaikumar Vijayan. Phishing emerges as major corporate security threat. Network World, April 2011. http://www.networkworld.com/article/2202359/security/phishing-emerges-as-major-corporate-security-threat.html.
- John Leyden. Half of phish marks respond to scams within one ‘golden hour’. The Register, December 2010. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/03/phishing_response_survey/.
- Karen Pryor. Don’t Shoot the Dog! Bantam, San Francisco, USA, 1999.Google Scholar
- Karen Pryor. Hidden aversives: Are you punishing unconsciously? KPCT, January 2005. http://www.clickertraining.com/node/101.
- Karen Pryor. The shape of shaping: Some historical notes. KPCT, April 2007. http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1135.
- Karen Pryor. The eight ways of changing behavior. KPCT, September 2012. http://www.clickertraining.com/node/290.
- Karla Jo Helms. Cybercrime statistics expose five industries most susceptible to phishing attacks. PR Newswire, May 2011. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cybercrime-statistics-expose-five-industries-most-susceptible-to-phishing-attacks-122436438.html.
- Thanuja Vasudevan. Cyber goons phish beyond financial transactions. Financial Chronicle, August 2010.Google Scholar
- Tim Greene. Phishing scams dupe the most active online users. Network World, April 2011. http://www.networkworld.com/article/2201901/malware-cybercrime/phishing-scams-dupe-the-most-active-online-users.html.
- William Jackson. To defeat phishing, energy learns to phish. GCN, June 2011. https://gcn.com/articles/2011/06/13/doe-phishing-test.aspx.