The Evolution and Technology Adaptations of 4G
This chapter provides a comprehensive view of the challenges facing current 4G networks and how the evolution toward 5G is expected to overcome them. We will explain many of the future requirements that can already be met with LTE Advanced Pro, and will discuss the operational and implementation challenges in current LTE networks and related end-user experiences.
KeywordsChannel State Information User Equipment Channel Quality Indicator Interference Mitigation Backhaul Link
- 1.Moore, Gordon E. (1965-04-19). “Cramming more components onto integrated circuits” Electronics. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- 2.Holma, H., Raaf, B., & Redana, S. “Relays. LTE-Advanced: 3GPP Solution for IMT-Advanced,” pp. 110–134, Wiley, August 2012, ISBN: 978-1-119-97405-5.Google Scholar
- 3.3GPP RP-150309, “Study on Latency reduction techniques for LTE,” 3GPP TSG RAN WG1#67, March 2015Google Scholar
- 4.3GPP R1-157082, “On physical layer aspects of low latency operation” 3GPP TSG RAN WG1#83, Nov. 2015Google Scholar
- 5.E. Lähetkangas, K. Pajukoski, J. Vihriälä, G. Berardinelli, M. Lauridsen, E. Tiirola, P. Mogensen, “Achieving low latency and energy consumption by 5G TDD mode optimization,” IEEE ICC2014, June 10-14, Sydney, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- 6.DIRECTIVE 1999/5/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 9 March 1999 on radio equipment and telecommunications terminal equipment and the mutual recognition of their conformity, Official Journal L 091, 07/04/1999 P. 0010–0028.Google Scholar
- 7.DIRECTIVE 2014/53/EU OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 16 April 2014 on the harmonization of the laws of the Member States relating to the making available on the market of radio equipment and repealing Directive 1999/5/EC, http://data.europa.eu/eli/dir/2014/53/oj.
- 8.CEPT Spectrum Engineering, http://www.cept.org/ecc/groups/ecc/wg-se
- 9.Signals Ahead, “Chips and Salsa XIX: LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation Chipset Benchmark Study”, Signals Research Group, Vol. 12, No.3, February 2015Google Scholar