Nonlinearly Interacting Gravitational Waves in the Gowdy T3 Cosmology
Nonlinear interactions between the two polarizations of the gravitational waves in the Gowdy T3 cosmology cause the generation of small-scale spatial structure from smooth initial data as the singularity is approached. The growth of this structure competes with the freezing of the spatial profile characteristic of the velocity dominated approach to the singularity conjectured for these models. Some properties of this phenomenon will be discussed.
KeywordsWave Equation Gravitational Wave Spatial Profile Smooth Initial Data Spatial Grid Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berger, B.K. and Moncrief, V., 1993, Phys. Rev. D, in press.Google Scholar
- Garfinkle, D., 1993, unpublished.Google Scholar
- Grubišić, B. and Moncrief, V., 1993b, unpublished.Google Scholar
- Suen, W.M. and Tobias, M., 1993, Workshop on Numerical Relativity, Penn State.Google Scholar
- Swift, C.M., 1993 “Numerical Studies of the Gowdy T3 Spacetime,” Masters Thesis, Oakland University.Google Scholar