The Complex Problem of Treatment
Although the presence of depressive mood disorders in schizophrenia has been recognised since the days of Kraepelin and Bleuler the prevalence of mood disorders and the resultant morbidity has been assessed only recently. A review of the literature suggests a frequency of 15–50 percent over 9–24 months (Table 1).
KeywordsMood Disorder Chronic Schizophrenia Affective Symptom Neuroleptic Drug Acute Relapse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cheadle AJ, Freeman HL, Korer J: Chronic schizophrenic patients in the community. Br J Psychiatry 132: 211–227.Google Scholar
- 4.Conrad K: Die beginnende schizophrenia: versuch einer gestaltanalyse des wahns. Thieme: Stuggart. p. 315, 1958.Google Scholar
- 5.Delva NJ, Letemendia FJJ: Lithium treatment in schizophrenia and schizo-affective disorders, in Contemporary Issues in Schizophrenia, Edited by Kerr A, Snaith P. Gaskell, London 381–396, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.Falloon O, Watt DC, Shepherd M: A comparative controlled trial of pimozide and fluphenazine decanoate in the continuation therapy of schizophrenia. Psychol Med 8: 59–70, 1978.Google Scholar
- 8.Galdi J: Depression ‘revealed’ in schizophrenia: A discussion, in Contemporary Issues in Schizophrenia, ed. Kerr A, Snaith P, Gaskell, London 462–466, 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.Hirsch SR: Depression in schizophrenia, in Schizophrenia, Edited by Hirsch SR, Update Publications, London, 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.Hirsch SR: Depression ‘revealed’ in schizophrenia, in Contemporary Issues in Schizophrenia, Edited by Kerr A, Snaith P, Gaskell, London, 459–461 and 467–469, 1986.Google Scholar
- 12.Hirsch SR, Gaind A, Rohde PD, Stevens BC, Wing JK: Outpatient maintenance of chronic schizophrenic patients with long-acting fluphenazine: a double-blind placebo trial. Brit Med J, i, 633–637, 1973.Google Scholar
- 19.Mandel MR, Severe JB, Schooler NR, Gelenberg AJ, Mieske M: Development and prediction of postpsychotic depression in neuroleptic treated schizophrenics. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 39: 197–203.Google Scholar