Biodegradable Polymers for Sustained Release of Polypeptides
Recent years have seen major advances in genetic engineering and consequent bacterial production of many interesting and pharmacologically active polypeptides as well as improvements in techniques leading to total chemical synthesis of lower molecular weight peptides such as ‘Zoladex’ (ICI 118630; D-Ser (But)6-Azgly10-LHRH; ‘Zoladex’ is a trade mark, the property of Imperial Chemical Industries PLC). However the therapeutic and commercial potential of polypeptide drugs will only be realised if these advances are accompanied by dosage form design leading to practical and effective formulations.
KeywordsSustained Release Trade Mark Number Average Molecular Weight High Molecular Weight Polymer Lower Molecular Weight Peptide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bohn, L., 1975, Compatible polymers, in: “Polymer Handbook”, 2nd Ed., J. Brandrup and E.H. Immergut, eds., John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Furr, B.J.A. and Hutchinson, F.G., 1985, Biodegradable sustained release formulations of the LH-RH analogue ‘Zoladex’ for the treatment of hormone responsive tumours. “EORTC Genitourinary Group Monograph 2, Part A: Therapeutic principles in metastatic prostate cancer”, Alan R. Liss, Inc.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, F.G., 1982, Continuous release pharmaceutical composition. European Patent Application 58481.Google Scholar
- Mitra, S., Van Dress, M., Anderson, J.M., Peterson, R.V., Gregonis, D. and Feijen, J., 1979, Pro-drug controlled release from poly glutamic acid, Polymer Preparations, American Chemical Society, Division Polymer Chemistry, 20: 32.Google Scholar
- Pitt, C.G. and Schindler, A., 1980, The design of controlled drug delivery systems based on biodegradable polymers, in: “Progress in contraceptive delivery systems”, E.S.E. Hafez and W.A.A. van Os, eds., MTP Press, Lancaster.Google Scholar
- Robinson, M.R.G., Denis, L., Mahler, C., Walker, K., Stitch, R. and Lunglmayr, G., 1985, An LH-RH analogue (‘Zoladex’) in the management of carcinoma of the prostate: a preliminary report comparing daily subcutaneous injections with monthly injections. Eur. J. Surg. Oncol., 11: 159.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sidman, K.R., Schwope, A.D., Steber, W.D. and Rudolph, S.E., 1981, Use of synthetic polypeptides in the preparation of biodegradable delivery systems for narcotic antagonists. NIDA Research Monographs, 28: 214.Google Scholar
- Wise, D.L., Fellman, T.D., Sanderson, J.E. and Wentworth, R.L., 1979, Lactic/glycolic acid polymers, in: “Drug carriers in biology and medicine”, G. Gregoriadis, eds, Academic Press, London.Google Scholar