Quantum Effects on the Davydov Soliton
A simple method is introduced to calculate the quantum lifetime of a Davydov soliton. We calculate the quantum lifetime for the usual parameter set in the Hamiltonian. The influence of the quantum number and of a prior excited lattice on this lifetime is shown. An important result is that the Davydov ansatz is exact for a classical lattice. For this case, the soliton is stable against quantum fluctuations.
KeywordsClassical Lattice Soliton Solution Quantum Fluctuation Bose Condensation Usual Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Davydov, A.S. and Kislukha, N.I., Phys. Stat. Sol. B59 (1973).Google Scholar
- 3.See Davydov, A.S., Solitons in Molecular Systems, Riedel, Dordrecht (1985) for bibliographies.Google Scholar
- 6.Bolterauer, H. and Henkel, R.D., Phys. Scripta T13 (1986) 314Google Scholar
- 7.Bolterauer, H. and Opper, M. “The Quantum lifetime of the Davydov soliton”; submitted to Physica Scripta November 1988Google Scholar
- 10.Bolterauer, H., Henkel, R. D. and Opper, M., “Resonant and Quasiclassical Excitations of Solitons in the Alpha-Helix”, in Structure, Coherence and Chaos in Dynamical Systems, edited by P. L. Christiansen and R. D. Parmentier, Manchester University Press 1986.Google Scholar