Intermediate Valence Model for Tl2Mn2O7
There have been speculations about the need to find a new mechanism to explain the colossal magnetoresistance exhibited by this material, having pyrochlore structure and thus differing structurally and electronically from the manganites. We will report here our transport results based on a two band model, with conduction electrons and intermediate valence ions fluctuating between two magnetic configurations. The model has been previously employed to understand transport and thermodynamical properties of intermediate valence Tm compounds and, in its periodic version, to analyze the phase diagram. The results obtained with this model for the transport properties of Tl2Mn2O7 are in good qualitative agreement with the experimental results.
KeywordsConduction Electron Local Orbital Magnetic Configuration Colossal Magnetoresistance Jahn Teller
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.C. Zener, Phys. Rev. 82, 403 (1951); P. W. Anderson and H. Hasegawa, I’hys. Rev. 100, 675 (1955); P. G. De Gennes, Phys. Rev. 181, 141 (1960).Google Scholar
- R. Von Heimholt et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 71, 2331 (1993); S. Jin byline et al., Science 264, 413 (1994).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Allub and B. Alascio, Solid State Commun. 99, 613 (1996); R. Allub and B. Alascio, Phys. Rev. B 55, 14113 (1997); Q. Li, J. Zang, A. R. Bishop, and C. M. Soukoulis, tond-mat/9612046 preprint.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Mazzaferro, Thesis, Inst. Balseiro - Univ. Cuyo, (1982); A. A. Aligia, J. Mazzaferro, C. A. Balseiro, B. Alascio, J. Magn. Magn. Materials 40, 61 (1983); A. A. Aligia, Thesis, Inst. Balseiro - Univ. Cuyo, (1984).Google Scholar
- J. Fontcuberta et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 76, 1123 (1996).Google Scholar
- 16.F. Brouers and A. V. Vedyayev, Phys. Rev. B 5, 348 (1972); F. Brouers, A. D. Vedyayev, and M. Giorgino, Phys. Rev. B 7, 380 (1973).Google Scholar