Interfacial Interdiffusion and Magnetic Properties of Transition Metal Based Materials
Experimental results and calculations of the Cr/Fe system magnetic order are reported. The role of the interfacial diffusion of Cr in Fe substrate during the Cr growth on Fe(001) is particulary investigated. The magnetic moment distribution is computed in the real-space by means of a self-consistent Hubbard-type tight-binding Hamiltonian. A simulation of the variation of the total sample magnetization during Cr growth shows that the more Cr and Fe are interdiffused at the interface, the more important is the decrease of the magnetization. The effects of this interdiffusion are found to be more important if the growth mode is not layer by layer. The local magnetic moments are strongly affected by this interdiffusion. Experimental studies are explained within this framework. For Fe/Cr/Fe trilayers, experimental evidences of spin-flip in the upper Fe film are shown. Limitations and extensions of the model are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See for instance J. A. C. Bland and B. Heinrich, Ultrathin Magnetic Structures I and II ( Springer, Berlin, 1994 ).Google Scholar
- 2.For instance more than 30 papers have been presented in the “Fe/Cr Interface Magnetism Workshop” held in Strasbourg, 2–3 june 1996.Google Scholar
- P. Grünberg et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 57, 2442 (1986).Google Scholar
- M. N. Baibich et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 61, 2472 (1988)Google Scholar
- A. Barthelemy, A. Fert, R. Morel, and L. Streren, Physics World, 34 (november, 1994 ).Google Scholar
- 5.For a recent review see H. Dreyssé and C. Demangeat, Surf. Sci. Rep. 28, 65 (1997).Google Scholar
- 8.P. Fruchs, K. Totland, and M. Landolt, Phys. Rev. B 53, 3293 (1995).Google Scholar
- 14.M. Freyss, D. Stoeffler and H. Dreyssé, Phys. Rev. B 54, R12 677 (1996).Google Scholar
- A. Vega et al., Phys. Rev. B 49, 12 797 (1994).Google Scholar
- 18.S. Miethaner and G. Bayreuther, to be published.Google Scholar
- 22.D. Stoeffler and F. Gautier, Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. 101, 139 (1990); D. Stoeffler and F. Gautier, Magn. Magn. Mater. 121, 259 (1993).Google Scholar
- F. U. Hillerbrecht et al., Europhy. Lett. 19, 711 (1992).Google Scholar
- I. Turek et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 74, 2551 (1995).Google Scholar