System(s) Engineering is a broad-spectrum, multi-disciplined, holistic activity coloured by individual experience. In some organisations, System(s) Engineering drives successful innovation. In other organisations, System(s) Engineering acts as a ‘fire brigade’ investigating failures. In yet other organisations, System(s) Engineers establish system architecture and project management needs, while at the other end of the spectrum, System(s) Engineering performs progress chasing and production control. Such variation in interpretation is unsatisfactory for industry and engineers. They defocus and inhibit professional involvement. System(s) Engineering is a critical issue linking systems thinking and systems practice.
KeywordsSystem Engineering System Engineer Emergent Property Engineer Management System Professional Involvement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boarder, J.C., 1994, A diagrammatic aid to course development and assessment, Educational Training and Technology International, Vol. 31(3).Google Scholar
- Boarder, J.C., 1994, (in prep.) “An elaborated system engineering framework”.Google Scholar
- Boarder, J.C., 1990, Project management and automated support, in: “Software Engineering for Technical Managers”, ed. R.J. Mitchell, Peter Peregrinus, London.Google Scholar
- Boarder, J.C., 1989, ASEE: ATMOSPHERE (ESPRIT II Advanced System Engineering Environment TIP), in: “Software Engineering Environments: Research and Practice”, ed. K.H. Bennett; Ellis Horwood, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Buckminster-Fuller, R., 1975, “Explorations in the Geometry of Thinking: Synergetics”, Macmillan, New York.Google Scholar
- Checkland, P.B., 1981, “Systems Thinking, Systems Practice”, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, G.M., 1972, “The Systems Approach”, in: “Systems Behaviour”, edited by Beishon, J., Peters, G., Harper and Row, London.Google Scholar
- Hitchins, D.K., Boarder, J.C., Moore,.D.R., 1992, IEE Draft guide to the practice of system engineering, IEE Publications, ref. SP024.Google Scholar
- Hitchins, D.K., 1992, “Putting Systems to Work”, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Lacy, J.L., 1992, “System Engineering Management: Achieving Total Quality”, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar