Evaluation of Erectile Dysfunction
A 68-year-old male was seen in the ambulatory setting at the Ohio State University Hospitals, for general medical evaluation after his primary care provider had retired. He had long-standing Type II diabetes mellitus managed with insulin and an oral agent. He also had moderate systolic hypertension treated with a diuretic and beta blocker. Although he denied any known cardiovascular disease, evaluation of his resting EKG revealed evidence of an inferior myocardial infarction.
KeywordsErectile Dysfunction Penile Erection Penile Prosthesis Nocturnal Penile Tumescence Intracavernosal Injection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Furlow WL: Prevalence of impotence in the United States. Med Aspects Hum Sex. 1985;19:13–16.Google Scholar
- 3.Kinsey AC, Pomerroy WB, Martin CE: Sexual behavior in the human male. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1948.Google Scholar
- 17.Virag R, Bouilly P, Frydman D: Is impotence an arterial disorder? A study of arterial risk factors in 440 impotent men. Lancet. 1985;1:182–184.Google Scholar
- 18.Krane RJ: Sexual function and dysfunction, in Walsh PC, Gittes RF, Perlmutter AD, Stamey TA (eds): Campbell’s Urology. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1986;vol. 1, pp 700–735.Google Scholar
- 19.Torrens MJ: Neurologic and neurosurgical disorders associated with impotence, in Krane RJ, Siroky MB, Goldstein I (eds): Male Sexual Dysfunction. Boston: Little, Brown, 1983, pp 55–61.Google Scholar
- 23.Rodriques-Blazquez HM, Cardona PE, Rivera-Herrera JL: Priapism associated with the use of topical cocaine. J Urol. 1990;143:358.Google Scholar
- 29.Karacan I: Clinical value of nocturnal erection in the prognosis and diagnosis of impotence. Med Aspects Human Sex. 1970;4:27–34.Google Scholar
- 33.Anders EK, Bradley W, Krane RJ: Nocturnal penile rigidity measured by the Snap Gauge band. J Urol. 1983;129:964–966.Google Scholar
- 34.Karacan I, Moore CA: Nocturnal penile tumescence: An objective diagnostic aide for erectile dysfunction, in Bennett AH (ed): Management of Male Impotency. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1982, pp 62–72.Google Scholar
- 35.Gaskell P: The importance of penile blood pressure in cases of impotency. Can Med Assoc 1971;105:1047–1050.Google Scholar
- 47.Goldstein I, Krane RJ, Greenfield AJ, et al: Vascular diseases of the penis: Impotence and priapism, in Pollack HM (ed): Clinical Urography. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1990, vol 3, pp 2231-2247.Google Scholar