A Model for Duration Coding in the Inferior Colliculus
We have implemented a biophysically-plausible model of duration-sensitive cells in the inferior colliculus which process the output of an auditory nerve model using temporal interactions between excitation and inhibition. Duration tuning results from temporal coincidences between an offset response and a delayed onset response. Model cells tuned to a range of best durations were tested with signals having durations between 2 ms and 40 ms. The model accurately simulated the duration tuning seen in the physiological data of Casseday et al. (1994) and also successfully simulated the effects of inhibitory blockers.
KeywordsAuditory Nerve Inferior Colliculus Basilar Membrane Tuning Curve Good Duration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gooier, D.M.. and Feng, A.S. (1992) Temporal coding in the frog auditory midbrain: the influence of duration and rise-fall tone on the processing of complex amplitude-modulated stimuli. J. Neurophys. 67: 1–22.Google Scholar
- Langner, G. and Schreiner, C.E. (1988) Periodicity coding in the inferior colliculus of the cat. I. Neuronal mechanisms..1. Neurophys. 60: 1799–1822.Google Scholar
- Mountain. D.C. Wu, W. and Zagaeski, M. (1991) A calcium-current inactivation model of auditory nerve adaptation. ARO Abstracts, 14: 153.Google Scholar
- Mountain, D.C. and Hubbard, A.E. (1996). Computational analysis of hair cell and auditory nerve processes. In: AuditorrComputation, Springer Handbook of Auditory Research, H.L. Hawkins, T.A McMullen, R.R. Popper, and R.R Fay. eds, Springer Verlag, New York pp 121–156.Google Scholar
- Robin. D.A.. Abbas, P.J. and Hug, L.N. (1990). Neural responses to auditory temporal patterns. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 87: 1673–1682.Google Scholar
- Singh. S. and Mountain, D.C. (1996) A model for duration tuning in the inferior colliculus. ARO Abstracts 19: 92.Google Scholar
- Westerman, L.A. (1985) Adaptation and recovery of auditory nerve responses. Special Report ISR-S-24. Institute of Sensory Research, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY.Google Scholar