Physical Basis of the Epilepsy Occurrence
A model of the epilepsy occurrence and spreading on the basis of the simple artificial neural network is presented. It is shown that the epilepsy-like phenomena can occur in the neural networks at the increasing of neuronal excitability or under the action of an external force. Dynamics of the quantitative EEG characteristics (correlation dimension, amplitude, largest Lyapunov exponent) is similar to one at the epilepsy occurrence. The results of epilepsy modelling are compared with the experimental investigations. Phenomenon of epilepsy is considered as a self-organization process which appears at the increasing of the energy transfer through the neural network.
KeywordsNeural Network Model Correlation Dimension Coupling Coefficient Shannon Entropy Neuron Output
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Nakagawa and M. Okabe, J. Phys. Soc. Japan 61, 1 121 (1992).Google Scholar
- R A. Schwartzkroin, Epilepsy: models, mechanisms, and concepts (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1993 ).Google Scholar
- S. J. Korn, J. L. Giacchino, N. L. Chamberlin, and R. Dingledine, J Neurophysiol. 57, 325 (1987).Google Scholar
- S. F. Traynelis and R. Dingledine, J Neurophysiol. 59, 259 (1988).Google Scholar
- V.E. Bondarenko, Phi’s, Lett. A 196, 195 (1994).Google Scholar