Modeling the Passive Properties of Nonpyramidal Neurons in Hippocampal Area CA3
We have been studying the passive membrane properties of nonpyramidal neurons in the CA3 region of the hippocampal formation. Using a combination of current-clamp recording, three-dimensional reconstruction, and compartmental modeling we examined the passive somatic membrane response and dendritic voltage attenuation in identified nonpyramidal, and therefore presumed inhibitory, neurons. The input resistance (RN) of compartmental models closely fit measured values for RN in more than 50% of cells studied. Membrane charging in these models, however, did not fit experimentally measured values. Finally, analysis of voltage attenuation in our neuron models suggests that voltage signals significantly attenuate from most dendritic locations to the soma.
KeywordsPyramidal Neuron Passive Property Membrane Charge Dendritic Compartment Dendritic Location
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Amaral, D.G., N. Ishizuka, and Claiborne, B.J. Neurons, numbers and the hippocampal network, in Progress in Brain Research. J. Storm-Mathisen, J. Zimmer, and O.P. Ottenson, Editor., Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 1–11., 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.Carnevale, N.T. and Johnston D., Electrophysiological characterization of remote chemical synapses. J. Neurophvs. 47: 606–621, 1982.Google Scholar
- 3.Claiborne, B.J., Use of computers for quantitative, three-dimensional analysis of dendritic trees, in Methods in Neurosciences, P.M. Conn, Editor., Academic Press, San Diego, pp. 315–330., 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.Claiborne, B.J., Zador, A.M., Mainen, Z.F., and Brown, T.H. Computational models of hippocampal neurons, in Single Neuron Computation, T. McKenna and J. Davis, Editor., Academic Press, Boston, pp. 61–79., 1992.Google Scholar
- 9.Lipowksy, R., Gillessen, T., and Alzheimer, C., Dendritic Na-1 channels amplify EPSPs in hippocampal CAI pyramidal cells. J. Neurophys. 76: 1029–1038, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.McNaughton, B.L., Neuronal mechanisms for spatial computation and information storage. in Neural connections, mental computation,L. Nadel, et al.,Editor., MIT Press, Cambridge, pp. 285–350.,1989.Google Scholar
- 15.Thurbon, D.. A. Field, and Redman. S.J. Electrotonic profiles of interneurons in stratum pyramidale of the CAI region of rat hippocampus. J. Neurophys. 71: 1948–1958, 1994.Google Scholar