Geometric Realizations of Uniformization of Conjugates of Hermitian Locally Symmetric Manifolds
Let Γ be a bounded symmetric domain, Γ ⊂ Aut(Ω) a torsion-free discrete group of holomorphic automorphisms such that the quotient manifold X = Ω/Γ is of finite volume with respect to the Bergman metric. The manifold X is either algebraic or biholomorphic to a quasi-projective variety, according to Satake, Baily, and Borel [3, 22] for the higher-rank case and to Siu and Yau  for the rank-1 case. Fix an embedding of X into a projective space PN and identify X with such a variety. Let σ ∈ Gal(C/Q, and let X σ denote the quasi-projective variety obtained by applying σ to the defining equations of X in P N . By a theorem of Kazhdan  in the compact case and a theorem of Borovoy and Kazhdan [5,12] in the general case, X σ ≅ Ω/Γ σ for some torsion-free discrete group of holomorphic automorphisms Γ σ ⊂ Aut(Ω) such that X σ is of finite volume with respect to the Bergmann metric.
KeywordsVector Bundle Line Bundle Hermitian Manifold Chern Number Holomorphic Automorphism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Ash, D. Mumford, M. Rappoport, and Y-S. Tai, Smooth Compactification of Locally Symmetric Varieties, Lie Groups: History, Frontier and Applications, Vol. 4, Math. Sci. Press, Brookline (1975).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Borovoy, Shimura-Deligne schemes Mc(G,h) and the rational cohomology (G,p)-classes for abelian varieties, in Group Theory and Homological Algebra, Vol. 1, Jaroslavel (1977).Google Scholar
- 11.D. Kazhdan, On arithmetic varieties, in Lie Groups and Their Representations (I. M. Gelfand, ed.), Akad. Kiadó, Budapest (1975).Google Scholar
- 14.S. Kobayashi and T. Ochiai, Holomorphic structures modelled after compact hermitian symmetric spaces, Manifolds and Lie Groups (Notre Dame, Ind.), pp. 207–222 (1980).Google Scholar
- 16.N. Mok and I-S. Tsai, Rigidity of convex realizations of irreducible bounded symmetric domains of rank ≥2, to appear in Journal für die riene und angewandte Math. Google Scholar
- 23.C. Simpson, System of hodge bundles and uniformation, Harvard thesis (1986).Google Scholar
- 24.Y.-T. Siu and S.-T. Yau, Compactification of negatively curved complete Kähler manifolds of finite volume, in Seminar on Differential Geometry (S. T. Yau, ed.), Princeton University Press, Princeton (1982); Ann. Math. Stud. 102, 363–380 (1982).Google Scholar
- 25.G. Tian and S-T. Yau, Existence of Kähler Einstein metrics on complete Kähler manifolds and their application to algebraic geometry, in Mathematical Aspects of String Theory, pp. 574–628, World Science Publishing, Singapore (1987).Google Scholar
- 29.S-T. Yau and F-Y. Zheng, Remarks on certain higher dimensional quasi-Fuschian domains, preprint (1991).Google Scholar