Coherent Effects in Polarization Selection in Lasers
The field-atom interaction of homogeneously broadened J = 1 → J = 0 transition is known to be neutral in its coupling of orthogonally polarized fields with the result that lasers using such a transition were predicted to show no preference for circularly, linearly or elliptically polarized emission . However, stable circularly polarized emission was found for HeNe lasers operating at 1.523 μm and HeXe at 2.65 μm which involves such a transitions . This experimental result was used to determine the differences between the magnetic dipole equilibration rate and the electric quadrupole decay rate for the active sublevels of the J = 1 state which break the neutral coupling .
KeywordsDecay Rate Relaxation Rate Hopf Bifurcation Electric Quadrupole HeNe Laser
- 1.D. Polder and W. van Haeringcn, Phys. Lett. 19, 380 (1965);Google Scholar
- M. Sargent III, W. E. Lamb, Jr, and R. L. Fork, Phys. Rev. A 164, 436 (1967); 164,450 (1967);Google Scholar
- D. Lenstra, Phys. Reports 59, 299 (1980);Google Scholar
- A. P.Voitovich, J. Soviet Laser Res. 8, 555 (1987).Google Scholar
- 2.H. de Lang and G. Bouwhuis, Phys. Lett. 20, 383 (1966); R. L. Fork, W. J. Tomlinson and L. J. Heilos, Appl. Phys. Lett. 8, 162 (1966); W. Culshaw and J. Kannelaud, Phys. Rev. 156, 308 (1967).Google Scholar