Habitat-Related Patterns of Productivity of the Foliaceous Reef Coral, Pavona Praetorta Dana
Reef corals contain mutualistic symbiotic zooxanthellae which photosynthesize and translocate photosynthate to the animal partner, although the animal is capable of tentacular feeding and other heterotrophic activities (Goreau, et al., 1971; Muscatine, 1973; Trench, 1974; Porter, 1974; Muscatine and Porter, 1976). Many workers have examined the photosynthesis of reef corals (McCloskey, et al., 1976) but habitat acclimation has generally been ignored.
KeywordsReef Coral Radiant Flux Fore Reef Marshall Island Bottom Trace
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barnes, D. J., 1973. Growth in colonial scleractinians. Bull. Mar. Sci., 23:280–298.Google Scholar
- Brakel, W., 1976. The ecology of coral shapes: microhabitat variations in the growth form and skeletal structure of Porites on a Jamaican reef. Ph. D. Dissertation, Yale University.Google Scholar
- Franzisket, L., 1969. The ratio of photosynthesis to respiration of reef building corals during a 24 hour period. Forma et Functio, 1:153–158.Google Scholar
- Humphrey, G. F., 1976. Project Report, C. S. I. R. O. Marine Biochemistry Unit, Sydney, Australia.Google Scholar
- McCloskey, L. R., D. S. Wethey, and J. W. Porter, 1976. The measurements and interpretation of photosynthesis and respiration in reef corals. Monogr. Oceanogr. Methods (Scor-Unesco), 4 (in press).Google Scholar
- Muscatine, L., and J. W. Porter, 1976. Reef corals: mutualistic symbioses adapted to nutrient-poor environments. Bioscience (in press).Google Scholar
- Porter, J. W., 1974. Zooplankton feeding by the Caribbean reef-building coral Montastrea cavernosa. Proc. Second Int. Coral Reef Symp., 1:111–125.Google Scholar
- Porter, J. W., 1976. Autotrophy, heterotrophy, and resource partitioning in Caribbean corals. Amer. Natur, (in press).Google Scholar
- Roos, P. J., 1967. Growth and occurrence of the reef coral Porites astreoides Lamarck in relation to submarine radiance distribution. Dukkerij Elinkwijk, Utrecht. 72 pp.Google Scholar
- Wells, J. W., 1957. Coral reefs. Geol. Soc. Amer. Mem., 67: 1087–1104.Google Scholar