Layout and Planning of a University Hospital Clinical Cyclotron/PET Facility
This paper describes the layout and planning of one of the most space efficient clinical PET centers built to date. It occupies 2250 square feet (NSF) of space. The RDS 112 self-shielded cyclotron and the chiller unit occupy about 650 NSF while the PET imaging section, containing the scanner room, ECAT control and computer rooms, receptionist office space, two patient preparation rooms, scan reading room and a break room occupy a total of 1010 NSF. Radiochemistry/pharmacy has only 590 NSF which includes office spaces for chemist, pharmacist, trainees and computers for cyclotron operation and patient management. The principal challenge was to build the radiochemistry facility in less than 300 NSF while remaining in compliance with OSHA, FDA and radiation safety regulations. This space is now occupied by two hot cells, a laminar flow hood for sterile preparation and pyrogen testing, a fume hood for dose drawing and HPLC/TLC preparation area, a radio-TLC scanner, two radio-HPLC and one radio-GC stations, a balance, an oven, a refrigerator, a dishwasher and a double sink with a DI water setup. We have been operating the facility since April, 1992 and are routinely producing 150–200 mCi of 18FDG and 20–25 mCi of 13NH3 with 98+ percent radiochemical purity and zero pyrogen level. In a typical production day the radiation levels vary from 0.1 to 2 mR/hr. The advantages and disadvantages of the layout are discussed.
KeywordsPositron Emission Tomography Fume Hood Laminar Flow Hood Scanner Room Chill Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.SNM Newsline, J. Nucl. Med., 33, 40N (1992).Google Scholar
- 2.SNM Newsline, J. Nucl. Med., 30, 20N (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.Third Annual ICP Conference Listing, October (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.J.R. Dahl, R.D. Finn, J.L. Need, R.J. Nickles, S.M. Quaim, D.J. Schlyer and D.J. Silvester, Cyclotron Facilities: Layout and Planning. Proceedings of the Second Workshop on Targetry and Target Chemistry, Heidelberg, Sep. 22–25 (1987).Google Scholar